• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

The drain line is not backing up to the inside. I’ve had that happen before leading to flooding around the inside unit. But it is dry. As a result of problems in the past, an automatic shut-off valve was installed that turns off the system if it detects water backing up.
We had one of those installed too. It's a float sensor. When water backs up in the line, the float is elevated and shuts the unit off. The pooling of water that used to be visible in the drain pan is no longer there because the unit shuts off before it gets to that point. Now, I have to actually check the line.

A capacitor going out would produce the same result.

The drain line is not backing up to the inside. I’ve had that happen before leading to flooding around the inside unit. But it is dry. As a result of problems in the past, an automatic shut-off valve was installed that turns off the system if it detects water backing up.
Check out these little alarms we have them under the sinks and behind the washer .https://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-Inc-BWD-HWA-00895001498-Basement/dp/B000JOK11K?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3VXFAEH99VZA

How can I tell?
You should be able to hear the hum of the compressor below the fan motor.

If there is no hum then the compressor isn’t starting which is what it sounds like. Honestly CR is probably right, a bad capacitor will provide enough juice to start the fan but not the compressor. I have to replace mine about every two or three years.

You should be able to hear the hum of the compressor below the fan motor.

If there is no hum then the compressor isn’t starting which is what it sounds like. Honestly CR is probably right, a bad capacitor will provide enough juice to start the fan but not the compressor. I have to replace mine about every two or three years.

Thanks for that lesson! Fan always on. Compressor comes on with a funny rattling sound and then stays on only for 15-20 seconds. When it is on, I feel hot air. Then turns off and stays off for 90 seconds. No hot air then. Then cycle (15-20 on, 90 off) keeps repeating. Also, neither pipe connecting to it feels cold.

Last edited:
Thanks for that lesson! Fan always on. Compressor comes on with a funny rattling sound and then stays on only for 15-20 seconds. When it is on, I feel hot air. Then turns off and stays off for 90 seconds. No hot air then. Then cycle (15-20 on, 90 off) keeps repeating. Also, neither pipe connecting to it feels cold.

Yuck that sounds like low coolant.

My sleep got interrupted by a heavy thunderstorm last night. It added 2.03 inches of rain to the 1.61 inches I received the previous two days in the rain gauge here near Lake Wheeler. This pattern is switching to dryer weather just in time for the weekend which would not bother me at all as long as the mid and upper nineties for high temperatures stay away.

The fan on mine has stopped turning on my unit a few times this summer. The unit will just sit there and hum while blowing warm air through the vents. I pulled the fuse out of the box on the wall cutting power to the unit and put it back in and it kicked right on. I’ve done this 3 times this summer and it has worked every time.

Back