• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

The cooler 12z euro (still warm) only has 1-2 CAD days to several 60/70 degree daysView attachment 96666

the GFS has something similar as well with some dec 7-8th CADView attachment 96667
Doesn’t seem very “even” to me, the CAD is mad weak per current models. Everyone is getting the torch bud ain’t no escaping the dec weenie roast
With those GFS temps and a little rain, the grass might start growing again.

I just don't see how we get cold except for a transient shot. The ECMWF OP, GFS OP, CMC, GFS Ensembles, ECMWF ensembles and GFS extended all keep the PNA VERY negative for at least 2 weeks and it is hard to get cold air in the SE with a -PNA. As Eric pointed out the MJO looks to linger around phase 6 for a while too and that is generally a warm signal for this time of year.

Gonna be keeping an eye on the MJO the next few weeks. The bias-corrected ECMWF monthly forecast from yesterday is probably one of the more realistic ones overall, keeping the MJO milling around w/ amplitude between phase 6-7 for basically the rest of December, which signals warmth overall in the SE US and cold intruding into the N Rockies + upper Midwest (canonical NINA pattern)

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_small.gif

The reason I say this is when you breakdown the daily probability (%) of seeing a winter storm in NC (east of the mtns) by MJO phase and month, what really stands out is MJO phase 7 in January w/ nearly a 16% chance of a winter storm per day, higher than any other phase in any month, phase 8 & null are a somewhat close seconds in January. This likely has a lot to do w/ the subtropical jet becoming more active & a -NAO tendency being favored when the MJO moves towards the west-central Pacific (phase 7). If the CFS and EPS + empirical wave propagation for a slow-moving La Nina MJO event (i.e. history) are generally to be believed, we could see this come to fruition in/around early January. I.e. the most favorable window for a winter storm may be in this time period

Chart is shown below: NC Winter Storm Probability by MJO phase & month since 1974.

Most favorable phase overall (red/bold, Jan Phase 7), most favorable phase per month (orange/bold), 2nd & 3rd most favorable (yellow/bold)

Capture.JPG

Data source:
Nov-Mar Daily Teleconnections and NC Winter Storms List (1948-2021)

Gonna be keeping an eye on the MJO the next few weeks. The bias-corrected ECMWF monthly forecast from yesterday is probably one of the more realistic ones overall, keeping the MJO milling around w/ amplitude between phase 6-7 for basically the rest of December, which signals warmth overall in the SE US and cold intruding into the N Rockies + upper Midwest (canonical NINA pattern)

The reason I say this is when you breakdown the daily probability (%) of seeing a winter storm in NC (east of the mtns) by MJO phase and month, what really stands out is MJO phase 7 in January w/ nearly a 16% chance of a winter storm per day, higher than any other phase in any month, phase 8 & null are a somewhat close seconds in January. This likely has a lot to do w/ the subtropical jet becoming more active & a -NAO tendency being favored when the MJO moves towards the west-central Pacific (phase 7). If the CFS and EPS + empirical wave propagation for a slow-moving La Nina MJO event (i.e. history) are generally to be believed, we could see this come to fruition in/around early January. I.e. the most favorable window for a winter storm may be in this time period

Chart is shown below: NC Winter Storm Probability by MJO phase & month since 1974.

Most favorable phase overall (red/bold, Jan Phase 7), most favorable phase per month (orange/bold), 2nd & 3rd most favorable (yellow/bold)

View attachment 96701

Data source:
December phase 7 looking noice

View attachment 96701

Data source:
Also the spread in those MJO runs is kind of crazy

Also the spread in those MJO runs is kind of crazy

This might be the catalyst that eventually drags us out of the La Nina later this spring. Really big WWB all the way up to ~150W shown on most NWP models usually means the warm pool starts to get nudged a bit eastward in the long-run, and any downwelling KW emanating from it may kill the Nina in several months time

Here is the Euro MJO forecast for the next 30 days
EMON_phase_51m_full(141).gif

To me this says we go very briefly into 7 but then right back into 6 around mid-month and then meanders into 7 the rest of the month, albeit at a lower amplitude
I like where we are headed into the new year .. phase 8 in January would be a sight for sore eyes

cmc.PNG
I didnt realize that CMC gives us peeps in Virginia an ice storm, probably not right but it's good to see that wintry precip does exist in the models.

Back