• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Me too. While it is still possible to score in that pattern, it’s a lot more difficult.
Actually for our area cd we tend to score more snow storms with a negative pna ,because positive pna usually spell suppressed pattern pushes everything towards gulf. But we going need least ao go negative to get some colder air into the mix .

I think this might be my favorite snow storm ever, even more than the Carolina Crusher of Jan 2000.

Fwiw, December 11-12 1958 still holds the throne as greatest December storm ever in the coastal plain area near I-95 and parts of the eastern piedmont of NC. While Dec 2010 produced a tiny area of 12"+ amounts east of Raleigh, there was a 50 ish mile swath across the entire state in Dec 1958 that experienced them. Nash County looks like the big winner w/ 19" in Nashville.

(Important aside: I am currently working on updating this map (& others in the winter of 1958-59) w/ some new, additional data I've been able to find since I first did this as an undergrad at NC State several years ago. Should have a new analysis + better looking map in the next several days or so.)
december-11-12-1958-nc-snowmap_orig.png

This storm is another good example of why we love to see high-latitude N Pacific & Pacific-Arctic blocking
compday.dfsaG0jJlW.gif

Wouldn't take much to get some of that arctic air to ooze south and get some sort of overrunning event down the road
Yeah it looked like it might have been trying to set something up past 180 with the clipper moving through and a new cold air mass coming but it was starting to dig in the west so maybe not

Best thing bout that is still fantasy land …but if it verifies, we will be breaking record high temps for December
And even if this verified to the end, I would think that cold to the NW (1050 high) would eventually barrow southeastward. Joe Bastardi's old point of cold pushing in like syrup, undercutting everything (including the SE ridge). **with la nina and the very cold air that will sit to our NW we may see some of these situations this winter; or we can hope so. 12z GFS hour 384 dew points:
aaaa1.jpg

12Z GEFS isn’t as cold as the 6Z around 12/5-6, but it looks to come in colder around 12/9 and beyond with an impressive +PNA! This actually would line up well with the move of the MJO to phase 7 and headed to 8.
Mean definitely wants to get the pv out of Akgfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-9180800.png
Not a bad run to run changegfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_dprog-9180800.png

Back