• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

12Z GEFS isn’t as cold as the 6Z around 12/5-6, but it looks to come in colder around 12/9 and beyond with an impressive +PNA! This actually would line up well with the move of the MJO to phase 7 and headed to 8.
Same as 12Z GEFS for 12Z EPS except it is colder throughout the run! Nice +PNA reappears! It is a cold reversal.

Edit: not colder throughout the run. It warms up late.

Last edited:
I say this every year around this time. Fact is most places in the southeast will rarely see a decent snow before January. Since 2006 I’ve had one December that gave me a 2 inch plus snow event which was in 2010. Last year was only the second time I’ve had even a one inch snow before January. That storm happened on November 30th which was also the only November I’ve ever had a snow storm that produced an inch. Snow is fun to track but no one should think winter is done or doomed based off what’s happening at the very end of November into December.
I'm surprised being near Kentucky that snow in December is so rare there.

SD, I didn't think the mjo charts looked that bad to me imo if they are anywhere close to accurate
Might be seeing a case where a bad high latitude pattern is overwhelming the pattern and can withstand the forcing from the tropics, we had a similar issue in either 18/19 or 19/20. Also looks like the euro retrogrades the mjo back into p6 which becomes a SER phase as we move through December.

Might be seeing a case where a bad high latitude pattern is overwhelming the pattern and can withstand the forcing from the tropics, we had a similar issue in either 18/19 or 19/20. Also looks like the euro retrogrades the mjo back into p6 which becomes a SER phase as we move through December.
The models and ensembles are trying to come to consensus of SSW development moving forward. Obviously still early in the game.

Back