• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

SD, how can we ever get a pattern favorable for us this winter with such an unfavorable Pacific? Will it require a SSW, right mjo phases, and other things combined to give us a realistic opportunity?

See the current month, especially since 11/19/21 when there has been a solid combo of +PNA, -NAO, and -AO resulting in a cold SE US during a pretty neutral MJO. Even in your area, most days this month have been colder than normal and 6 days have been MB. Even the Pacific got pretty darn favorable much of the time. Otherwise, there wouldn’t have been 2/3 of days with a +PNA and 1/3 of days with a solidly +PNA.

So, we’ve just had a favorable Pacific for cold and that was during a neutral MJO. If we get that favorable MJO for mid to late month, which is quite possible, look for more favorable Pacific, especially if +PNA returns.

Last edited:
I was just looking at some old family photos from when I was a kid (early 90s) and we really had decent snow atleast once or twice a year where I live (Anderson Sc) it and seems like a few good ice storms as well. Even so in early 2000s. What has went wrong since then?

I was just looking at some old family photos from when I was a kid (early 90s) and we really had decent snow atleast once or twice a year where I live (Anderson Sc) it and seems like a few good ice storms as well. Even so in early 2000s. What has went wrong since then?
The late 70s were awesome here. I was a little boy but remember well bout those cold snowy winters . Telling off my age bit here . Lol

Global warming

Global warming
It's not Global warming, it's warming on our side of the globe. All the cold air keeps going the wrong way! :(

I'd say, let the cold build in Canada and Alaska this time of year...it will eventually dump into the US. Now, whether or not it gets to the SE US, hard to say, but it is not even December yet.
Yes, 100%. Let it get cold up there and let the snow pack build up. We have 3.5 months ahead of us to get cold and snow, plus a few days before that window opens up. There are going to be many model runs, like there are every single winter, that show reds over the SE. What's the big deal? People are way too scared of LA Ninas.

Will it ever get cold again? No. No it won't. The Pacific will never be favorable. Or the Atlantic. Or the MJO. Or the stratosphere. Or ENSO. Or Climate Change. We're in a 2nd year Nina. Ninas are front loaded, you know. And since there's so much red being posted for the foreseeable future, we should just assume that we're going to be wall to wall warm. Oh well. On to winter 2056.

Yes, 100%. Let it get cold up there and let the snow pack build up. We have 3.5 months ahead of us to get cold and snow, plus a few days before that window opens up. There are going to be many model runs, like there are every single winter, that show reds over the SE. What's the big deal? People are way too scared of LA Ninas.

Will it ever get cold again? No. No it won't. The Pacific will never be favorable. Or the Atlantic. Or the MJO. Or the stratosphere. Or ENSO. Or Climate Change. We're in a 2nd year Nina. Ninas are front loaded, you know. And since there's so much red being posted for the foreseeable future, we should just assume that we're going to be wall to wall warm. Oh well. On to winter 2056.
Not so sure the world will last to 2056… lol

Hey I’m not too worried about it. Somehow we managed 8 inches of snow in February in North Alabama on that screwed up winter setup. We had a nice 1 1/2 week window where we had like 3 threats. I don’t always buy in the Nina front loaded stuff. We got this!!!!

Back