• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

Lord, here's hoping and praying that the Pioneer model is right, and not the US Government (now, which is an oxymoron, of sorts?) ...

View attachment 9188View attachment 9189

Below is the December composites of our cold/snowy nino's v/s warm/non-snowy. Granted, the sample size is very small but you can guess how this December is evolving.

GoodNino.pngBadNino.png

I dunno that this December is really going to be colder than average or warmer than average, tbh. I'd say right now we're at average or slightly below, and while we're in a relaxed period, we don't seem like we're going to get crazy warm. Seems like most of us might end up at about average for the month (or maybe that's the point?).

Although that latter map does look incredibly similar to what the models are showing for the second half of December and that might not be good news.

This run of the gfs is even better for western nc, colder sfc/850s but mountains is a issue, snow almost never makes it past the nc mountains

This run of the gfs is even better for western nc, colder sfc/850s but mountains is a issue, snow almost never makes it past the nc mountains

It will certainly dry up. And have almost zero chance of making it into upstate sc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno that this December is really going to be colder than average or warmer than average, tbh. I'd say right now we're at average or slightly below, and while we're in a relaxed period, we don't seem like we're going to get crazy warm. Seems like most of us might end up at about average for the month (or maybe that's the point?).

Although that latter map does look incredibly similar to what the models are showing for the second half of December and that might not be good news.

I can't speak for your area but this area won't be anywhere near average with lows averaging in the 40s by months end.

Surface temps really don’t look torchy, so I guess that’s a plus. But the H5 look sux and if I was going to extrapolate the winter based solely on Kylo’s composites, I’d be starting to get depressed. Fortunately, I’m counting on the solar min to save us. But if I’m still staring down this pattern two-four weeks out at the beginning of January, then I’ll be in the winter is over camp.

It depends on the track of low, but the models have been fairly consistent with the track. But, who knows, the track may shift east. If so, there would be more snow east of the mountains.

So you are saying winter is canceled

I think the only thing that is off the table is end to end cold. There is fairly good agreement on what the pattern will be the next couple of weeks and it will take time to change after, if it changes. My guess is we are headed to a 14/15 repeat where things turn in February. I hope I am wrong and it’s mid January.

I think the only thing that is off the table is end to end cold. There is fairly good agreement on what the pattern will be the next couple of weeks and it will take time to change after, if it changes. My guess is we are headed to a 14/15 repeat where things turn in February. I hope I am wrong and it’s mid January.
Oh, so now you are punting until sometime in February??.... For the love of everything holy, you folks have been drinking too much eggnog. Might as well punt until March while you're at it! I will make it a point to bump this post when everyone is freezing their butts off in January.

Below is the December composites of our cold/snowy nino's v/s warm/non-snowy. Granted, the sample size is very small but you can guess how this December is evolving.

View attachment 9191View attachment 9192

Well, it's certainly clear which bin the first half of December 2018 fell into. I think we will return to a big league winter weather regime before January ends, but that's not to say we couldn't do something before then, especially once we get out of that awful 3-4-5 MJO regime.

12.18.gif

I’m in agreement with Rain Cold. If we get to the first of January and we see another 2 to 4 weeks of this warm pattern showing up we are more then likely done...

Oh, so now you are punting until sometime in February??.... For the love of everything holy, you folks have been drinking too much eggnog. Might as well punt until March while you're at it! I will make it a point to bump this post when everyone is freezing their butts off in January.

Deep breaths, everything will be OK. Nobody cancelled anything, we are just discussing weather. I gave my option, backed it up with some analogs. There are other factors pointing to a prolonged warmup. MJO, SOI.

If you disagree and think we flip in January then spell it out. Would love to hear it, you might be correct.

People need to chill out if someone posts something they may disagree with. This is a weather forum to discuss weather. R E L A X

I think we’re free to guess. If somebody wants to guess Feb is when we’ll see winter show back up, it’s not much different than someone else saying winter will show back up in mid-January. I don’t think January is a tosser, but there’s no way to know for sure either way.

FWIW ... Tony (@dsaur) had skeeters as big as Air Force One, spiders as big as a Patton tank, and moles galore ... somethin' good hasta happen ... soon ... :eek:

I can't speak for your area but this area won't be anywhere near average with lows averaging in the 40s by months end.

Perhaps I shouldn't be looking at highs only then, as 40s certainly aren't average lows for here either later in the month and might well be well above. But looking at highs only certainly doesn't look like a torch, JMO. Not when in recent years, we've seen 70-80 degree highs around Christmas and torrential rain that seemed like warm rain one year.

Last edited:
Well, it's certainly clear which bin the first half of December 2018 fell into. I think we will return to a big league winter weather regime before January ends, but that's not to say we couldn't do something before then, especially once we get out of that awful 3-4-5 MJO regime.

View attachment 9195
I would rather be in the crappy phases now.

Just to give some more background on my post above. I looked up some winters that traversed Ph4-6 to see how they evolved. Again, not a ton of analogs but just to give an idea.

Here is what the pattern looked like as MJO enters phase 5.

MJOPhase5Day0.gif

10 days after Phase 5...look familiar?

MJOPhase5-day10.gif

20 days after phase 5....not to bad. This would put us roughly mid-January.

MJOPhase5Day20.gif

30 days after phase 5....this would put us end of January.

MJOPhase5Day30.gif

Again, I hope I am wrong, I hope the models are wrong, I hope the models modeling MJO are wrong. I hope we flip January 1st and we are all measuring snow with yardsticks. But, I don't appreciate getting attacked by baseless responses.

Back