• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

200w.gif

Looks like the epo takes over . Same story different winter . EPO driven . I’m all for it as I’ve scored multiple times over the last few years . In fact I’d rather have a -epo vs -nao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always thought the persistence forecast for the -EPO/+PNA pattern we've had for the last 3 years was the way to go this year. However I'm starting to think -NAO may hang around, we'll see.

Just saw this on Michael Ventrice's twitter....if we keep the STJ wave train going, I guess fine. Persistence for the win. I'd hate to go northern stream dominate though with no blocking.

upload_2018-11-21_16-24-43.png

Doesn't the Deep South (LA, MS, AL, GA, N. FL) do the best snow wise with a -EPO, +PNA, -AO combo?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-NAO is key here based on a study by the NC Climate Office. Posted about it in the winter thread. http://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-2018-19-discussion.410/page-46#post-118814
I believe I remember Allan Huffman did a study once, and do not quote me verbatim, but apparently western N.C. has their biggest winter storms with -NAO, while RDU has its best correlated snows with +PNA, although a negative NAO increases winter storm probabilities for the whole state.

No shortage of wet weather for the next two weeks in the 18z gfs

If I’m taking a guess. I don’t see the first week of December producing a winter storm in southeast. Outside the mountains at least

No shortage of wet weather for the next two weeks in the 18z gfs

It's a wet bar run, no doubt, but vodka is not in the bartender's stash ... more like a wet martini run ... o_O
... she'll look better after a couple more ... :eek:

Last edited:
I can't see that, but I don't like this image very much at all:
View attachment 7565
It’s amazing how the cold always seem to be on the opposite of the earth, than we need it to be! Even when the arctic hounds are unleashed, we get the broke down , 3 legged sled dog, and Europe gets the whole damn Iditarod winning dog team! :mad:

It’s amazing how the cold always seem to be on the opposite of the earth, than we need it to be! Even when the arctic hounds are unleashed, we get the broke down , 3 legged sled dog, and Europe gets the whole damn Iditarod winning dog team! :mad:
Well Europe is a lot further north than most of the US.

You could say that about every week from Nov-March, and be right 99.6 % of the time!

Well Europe is a lot further north than most of the US.

Could y'all be thankful for the good fortunes you have ... just maybe tonight and tomorrow? :cool:

I believe I remember Allan Huffman did a study once, and do not quote me verbatim, but apparently western N.C. has their biggest winter storms with -NAO, while RDU has its best correlated snows with +PNA, although a negative NAO increases winter storm probabilities for the whole state.

So spot on and right. If i have to choose,give me a + pna over a - nao all day long. Prefer both, but the pac plays a way bigger hand in deteriming or winter fate for better or worse more than the Atlantic. Now just north of me into the MA and espeacilly NE, different story. We all should be licking our chops sitting where we are at currently,looking at the forecasted indicies just one week away from kicking off met winter. Been a long time since we've been sitting in the position we currently find ourselves at as November winds down. Ill cash out and take my chances from here on out.

Back