• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

The Dec 5th storm, looks as close as the 9th storm!? A few tweaks, we are $$

well even a rain event here would be news, been very dry this month after the rain never seemed to end in September/October :rolleyes:

To me this thing is still so far out for the GFS it doesn’t know if it wants to run, cut, or become a GL and take a Miller A track.
Hate to say it. Just little to warm. But signal are there for something. View attachment 7690
that GL track is money. Maybe we need to get that low entering SoCal trending further south?

Just my observation, the track of the low on the GFS the past few runs has been pretty consistent through the northern part of the gulf/coastal area.

If I am reading this correctly. Trying to learn something new this year. We had more of a northern stream on 12z and 18z model run then the 0z. It wouldn’t take much to get it in the right direction. Heck it’s 10 days away. So more then enough time for things to change for better. Going to attach picture of what I think happen. Someone please correct me if I am wrong..

New run less norther stream.
View attachment 7693

12z more northern stream
View attachment 7694
Ok, but I thought the NS always hurt our snow chances. Isn’t that what messes up our STJ and causes storms to cut?

That New Orleans to Charleston track of that low is no bueno for this area. We need that low tracking more eastward and exiting the coast at least south of Savannah. Hoping for a couple of Miller A's just like that this winter.

Ok, but I thought the NS always hurt our snow chances. Isn’t that what messes up our STJ and causes storms to cut?
I think separation is the key! You need the N stream to be ahead of the S stream, to get the cold air established. But it’s a fine line, if the N stream is too strong , the cold air will crush the S stream. Or if N stream moves out too fast, it takes away the cold! That’s where blocking and the -NAO helps, to keep the cold locked in longer

Hey tarheel. We just about 140 hours from what the nam has to say on this. LMBO!!! :weenie::weenie::weenie:
I love the long range NAM! It’s nailed the thermal profile in a lot of our winter storms lately! I look at it to see how much sleet and rain I’m gonna get, when forecast calls for 3-6” of snow!

I love the long range NAM! It’s nailed the thermal profile in a lot of our winter storms lately! I look at it to see how much sleet and rain I’m gonna get, when forecast calls for 3-6” of snow!
Yea no kidding. Gotta give it credit. It nailed last December storm. Would like for it to get a upgrade kinda like the gfs is getting.

One of the reasons why the 0z GFS is warmer than the 18z is because, the HP pushes ahead of the system to the northeast. The HP needs to move along with the low to provide the cold dense air for snow, like what the 18z GFS projected. Also, the 0z GFS puts the low further north, which WAA would be taking over.

Last edited:
One of the reasons why the 0z GFS is warmer than the 18z is because, the HP pushes ahead of the system to the northeast. The HP needs to move along with the low to provide the cold dense air for snow, like what the 18z GFS projected. Also, the 0z GFS puts the low a further north, which WAA would be taking over.
Oh yea, WAA is our worst enemy.
Btw, welcome to forum!! Love it when our new forum members comes on in and join the conversation. :)

Last edited:
Why can’t we have a winter with no Northern Stream..just Energy diving down out of
Canada meeting up with energy riding our STJ

Fv3 crazy run as well, there are some more members on 0z gefs that brings a winterstorm to the southeast.

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_48.png

Back