• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

That scenario isn’t cold air chasing moisture. It has a low associated with it in the gulf into South Georgia and South Carolina. It’s a classic look for snow in North Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee.
If it doesn’t show snow in NC/SC, we toss! o_O

If it doesn’t show snow in NC/SC, we toss! o_O
Shows mid 50’s/60’s east of the mountains with a snow to the west up through MS TN KY. Idk how we get cold air in place with a cutter pattern. I’m not sure it’s possible. We need blocking, they said. What are we blocking? 60’s from leaving the SE?

Looks like for folks to the east to have a shot we need that front end cutter to work itself all the way through before the GL gets going? Looks like a pipe dream. Any experts care to explain

That scenario isn’t cold air chasing moisture. It has a low associated with it in the gulf into South Georgia and South Carolina. It’s a classic look for snow in North Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee.

From a general perspective I think that scenario is in dire need of a strong high pressure system to the north. As its currently modeled there's just no cold air in funneling in. That's what I'm going to look for in future runs. Maybe it's in ensembles....

gfs_mslpa_us_39.png

Looks like for folks to the east to have a shot we need that front end cutter to work itself all the way through before the GL gets going? Looks like a pipe dream. Any experts care to explain

Several problems. One is pronounced SW flow aloft before this system arrives putting a good chunk of the SE in a warm flow aloft.
gfs_T850_us_37.png

The 5H energy here needs to dig more than shown, instead it makes it to about Texas and then tailing energy over Colorado "kicks" it to the NE causing a cutter. Generally you want this 5H energy passing along the Gulf Coast region for a widespread SE snow threat (assuming there is enough cold around to work with).
gfs_z500_vort_us_37.png

2e0c50d9d3ae5ae4d35b8399ea4cf3d6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting tidbit in there.

The vertical atmospheric energy transfer looks active to me for the foreseeable future. This could lead to a significant or major stratospheric PV as early as the second half of December and extending into early January.

Interesting tidbit in there.

The vertical atmospheric energy transfer looks active to me for the foreseeable future. This could lead to a significant or major stratospheric PV as early as the second half of December and extending into early January.

Lol, all I keep hearing is the models keep showing a vortex under attack. Which one is it?

Several problems. One is pronounced SW flow aloft before this system arrives putting a good chunk of the SE in a warm flow aloft.
gfs_T850_us_37.png

The 5H energy here needs to dig more than shown, instead it makes it to about Texas and then tailing energy over Colorado "kicks" it to the NE causing a cutter. Generally you want this 5H energy passing along the Gulf Coast region for a widespread SE snow threat (assuming there is enough cold around to work with).
gfs_z500_vort_us_37.png

Need some spacing on that energy as it comes down the pipe. These kickers are gonna continue to cause LPs to cut. Like rapid fire

18z is even warmer! Trending in the wrong direction!! Must , stop. Looking ... at.... Op .....Runs!!
I definitely agree... I do think so far this winter is going to be how consistent will the operational models do because like it or not regardless how great the forecasters say how good the upcoming winter season is going to be... It will not matter if the gfs,euro cmc,gfs-fv3,gefs, jma or all other models don't start showing something in the short or long range with consistency... Also I'm still trying to figure out if this is really a modoki or weak El nino... I'm still trying to learn every aspect of weather

Back