• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

Good question. I'm expecting more than a two week stretch of potential this year. So, if that's all we get, I will definitely be disappointed. I think we'll have several cold windows interspersed throughout all winter months. El Nino should fuel frequent precipitation events. Hopefully, there is enough overlap of both cold and precipitation to provide a few winter storms, with a couple of them being legit Miller As.

A nice consolation prize for not having an -NAO winter would be a -EPO/+PNA winter with an active split flow. I'll take that too!

Pattern is active. Snow pack building to the northwest. Stars starting to align. Let’s see if that L in SCal at HR210 on 06z GFS will come back. I mean it’s a long way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the February 25, 2015 winter storm was a bust.
Was it? Just because some forecasters don't know how to take into account the warm nose doesn't mean the storm was a bust!

accum.20150226.png

Was it? Just because some forecasters don't know how to take into account the warm nose doesn't mean the storm was a bust!

accum.20150226.png
That one pushed some of the southern Wake County folks over the cliff. Move the mix line down one row of counties and it would have lined up well with the forecasts. Never underestimate the warm nose!

accum.20150226.png

So frustrating, that storm.

GFS is indicating some very nice snow-pack building to our north and west over the next 10 days. This is a great sign and I'm looking for mid to late December for a legit threat to pop up once this is well established.
gfs_asnow_us_41.png
The CMC almost has the exact same solution

Hopefully we will have something to track now. And it’s within 9 days.

The CMC almost has the exact same solution

It’s going to be hard to get cold air in a favorable position with all of these cutters. Maybe we can slow that trailing piece of energy down a bit and get it to “dig” a little more? Looks like a rainer as of now. Especially for folks east

Euro looks pretty good days 8-10 with a nice broad trough, anyone have better pics than tropical tidbits?

Hopefully we will have something to track now. And it’s within 9 days.

That system is worth keeping an eye on but I think the main thing we are gaining from this current pattern is snow building across the Northern US. While that keeps us on the warm/rainy side of things due to the cutters it is also laying nice snow cover and setting the stage for something interesting later in the month.

Back