• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

Here’s my fantasy storm
96bca8a72469932743a9b93fdfe7807d.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Textbook. This would be a nice thump verbatim for the Carolinas. That HP is strong, in a good spot, and isn’t transient for a change. No
GLL either. Sadly, we will probably lose this look at 00z

View attachment 7625Here is the 0z run fantasy snow at 372... I'm curious to see if the Fv-3 GFS 0z run still shows a fantasy storm around the same time frame
As much as I don’t want to say it. 0z gfs brought us back to reality. That’s the ole cold air chasing moisture scenario. But don’t worry it be different next run. I be glad when we actually get a threat inside 7-10 days.

As much as I don’t want to say it. 0z gfs brought us back to reality. That’s the ole cold air chasing moisture scenario. But don’t worry it be different next run. I be glad when we actually get a threat inside 7-10 days.
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_61 (1).png Yea definitely a different solution on the Fv3-gfs 0z run... I'm still holding out hope that we in the south can get a snowstorm like what the Midwest is getting today someday in the near future... I'm not giving up on hope

View attachment 7627 Yea definitely a different solution on the Fv3-gfs 0z run... I'm still holding out hope that we in the south can get a snowstorm like what the Midwest is getting today someday in the near future... I'm not giving up on hope
I wouldn’t be too worried. Our best climatological months for snow is January and February. So anything in December would be a bonus. It was nice to have a thanksgiving with seasonal temps.

While we're waiting on the snow, it looks likely we'll have warmer temps, heavy rain, wind, and some thunderstorms next weekend. The Euro and GFS evolve things differently but both feature 850 winds >64 knots over eastern AR, western TN, and northern MS on Saturday along with high shear values. Hello cool-season HSLC severe threat with a developing QLCS. The SPC hasn't outlined any risk areas just yet but something to watch as we get closer.

Textbook. This would be a nice thump verbatim for the Carolinas. That HP is strong, in a good spot, and isn’t transient for a change. No
GLL either. Sadly, we will probably lose this look at 00z
Poof! Like a fart in the wind! Back to normal, cutter after cutter!

The pacific is a mess . Gonna have to get that cleaned up before we start getting that special feeling

Its a mess and models haven't been that great. EPS moved toward what GEFS has been showing. Still hoping one of these times we will get a trailing wave after a cutter with just enough cold air around to maybe see some December flakes.

Kansas City averages 18" of snow a year and they are getting a blizzard before Dec 1 even hits. Hopefully stuff like that keeps up for places south/east.

EPStrend.gif

Last edited:
Question, are cutters normal for this time of year? I feel like they are but not 100% sure.

I think we are in a good spot and things should evolve into a good pattern for the SE. Parts of the SE have already had 2 icing events. Hopefully that’s also a good sign as we move forward into winter.

Its a mess and models haven't been that great. EPS moved toward what GEFS has been showing. Still hoping one of these times we will get a trailing wave after a cutter with just enough cold air around to maybe see some December flakes.

Kansas City average 18" of snow a year and they are getting a blizzard before Dec 1 even hits. Hopefully stuff like that keeps up places south/east.

View attachment 7630

Yeah there's ~ 40-45 dBz on radar in southeastern Iowa and it's snowing. That's at least 4-5"/hr assuming 10:1 ratios. Oof

I think we are in a good spot and things should evolve into a good pattern for the SE. Parts of the SE have already had 2 icing events. Hopefully that’s also a good sign as we move forward into winter.

Yeah getting 2 ice events even in the western piedmont and mountains of NC by mid December is pretty impressive in its own right but before December is rare-very rare as far as I can tell.

Winter is here. FV3 means business in the LR. We’ve got water coming out of both sides of the tub. After the reload the hammer drops. Don’t forget to pay your power and natural gas billE1335046-DA90-4852-AF28-228477989EA0.png

Don’t look at the 12z gfs for snow lovers. It’s Ugly. Lol
Lol, when is December not ugly for snow lovers in the South? Maybe 2010 or for parts of the Deep South, 2017.

I want to be hopeful but realistically any December measurable snowfall here is a bonus.

Winter is here. FV3 means business in the LR. We’ve got water coming out of both sides of the tub. After the reload the hammer drops. Don’t forget to pay your power and natural gas billView attachment 7631
Better get your knickers out in Europe!! All I see!? There’s no way of transport that from Canada, to down here! Fill up with Petrol, refill the bathtub! It sloshed all out in Europe, like every winter!

Back