• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Going to go ahead and say it. Storm of the century totals will be rivalved and smashed for many locations in WNC. This one will be the new benchmark of all time esp west of i77.
yikes! I still think people need to temper their expectations this far out. This is the south and no matter how good the models look things can and do go wrong with winter weather. I’m not saying this won’t be a big winter storm but I see a lot of posters acting as if this is set in stone already.

yikes! I still think people need to temper their expectations this far out. This is the south and no matter how good the models look things can and do go wrong with winter weather. I’m not saying this won’t be a big winter storm but I see a lot of posters acting as if this is set in stone already.
The NC mtns are only south in latitude. They have a climate more similar to New England.

Gonna come out of my one day break to say this if the ULL continues to come better in the back half of the storm I think another March 2009 is not out of the books for parts of Georgia.

That wasn’t excitement. That’s a warning. Prepare now for 1-2 week survival in the MTNS and Foothills. A large area of 2-3 feet of snow could mean air supply drops for Boone, Sparta and West Jefferson. The consistency in the EURO is dangerous at this stage and range.

Gonna come out of my one day break to say this if the ULL continues to come better in the back half of the storm I think another March 2009 is not out of the books for parts of Georgia.

Was a good one for Alabama as well, that ULL moved SE & then NE through Georgia I believe

[
snowfall.JPG

Its obviously not gonna be snow for ATL area. I could see a scenario if everything lines up correctly where we get alot of ice or sleet and then transition to snow in the last bit.

I've gone from unconcerned to cautiously optimistic the past couple of days. I could see this being a February 11-13, 2014 repeat here. So basically a sleetfest with a little bit of ice and possibly backend snow if the ULL works out for us. I'll call that success if somehow it happens. It's pretty funny how very close the 12z EURO was to showing an icy mess here when you look at 850/925mb temps, 2m temps, etc. If the 00z EURO comes in a degree or two colder in those thermal profiles we might be in trouble.

Back