• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Where’s all the good weenie runs we were expecting with this great patten?
Sometimes it can be a cold pattern and not snow, sometimes it can snow in a warm pattern, Sometimes model runs don't show snow for their run but it snows in that 10-16 day time frame, Sometimes models show a foot of snow at 36 hours and it rains.

1671062400-w0LwWh3b3dI.png

^^Yep, RDU shows near a half inch of freezing rain, but that occurs with temps of 31/32 degrees. So the accretion would be very limited. Maybe (right now) something to look for in the NW Piedmont/Foothills. Need that CAD to build in stronger with some cold/dry air in the upcoming model runs.

Now what I could see is us seeing some backside snow showers or just flurries as this is looking more and more Miller B ish .. that could be the saving Grace .. I would love to just see flakes fall in December!
I could see that. Lots of energy flying around on the backside as the colder airmass comes in. We’ve certainly seen that some over the years. I’m with you about having a hard time seeing much outside of the foothills and nw Piedmont though… just not enough snow cover to the north yet. Now a few days later, that might be a different story

I'm seeing weaker trend over eastern seaboard unless I'm missing something here.
The wave is getting sheared in multiple directions. But we are in the middle of a HUGE model shift. There's a vortex diving like mad out of Canada and it's one/two more runs away from phasing in with our next week storm (if the trend continues), which could set off a bomb near Newfoundland and really set the stage for a suppressed follow up wave.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_fh174_trend.gif

The wave is getting sheared in multiple directions. But we in the middle of a HUGE model shift. There's a vortex diving like mad out of Canada and it's one/two more runs away from phasing in with our next week storm (if the trend continues), which could set off a bomb near Newfoundland and really set the stage for a suppressed follow up wave.

View attachment 125259
It’s already there at hr234 on the GFS ?

1670606974774.png

Last edited:
Back