• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Was this the same Jan that had a big snow for the western Triangle that came from the SSE?
Yeah, you may be referring to this one that hit the Charleston area pretty hard and went up the coast into the NE as the "Bomb Cyclone"

january_3-4_2018_nc_snowmap.png

January 28th is etched in my memory forever, even over the 10 inches of snow in December 2017. I may not ever see four inches of snow on the ground at -3F in Clay County, AL ever again.
I’m sure there are few local meteorologists in the Atlanta then that will remember those days for a different reason. Not forecasting accumulation despite the NWS issuing WS warnings

Yeah, you may be referring to this one that hit the Charleston area pretty hard and went up the coast into the NE as the "Bomb Cyclone"

january_3-4_2018_nc_snowmap.png
The one Im thinking of gave about 4 or so to the Raleigh area, but socked Chatham and Orange Co with close to a foot of snow. Temps 33 to 34 but rates were high, almost thunderstormish. Thought it might be 2018, but unsure. It did come from the SSE, I remember seeing dense bright colors on radar, and it delivered. Heavy wet snow.

Might be banter, but I called the NWS and praised them for sticking to their guns on that forecast!
Yeah and mods feel free to move this to banter but the worst part was the Georgia Governor and Atlanta Mayor trying to deflect all the blame on the NWS despite their forecast ending up correct.

The one Im thinking of gave about 4 or so to the Raleigh area, but socked Chatham and Orange Co with close to a foot of snow. Temps 33 to 34 but rates were high, almost thunderstormish. Thought it might be 2018, but unsure. It did come from the SSE, I remember seeing dense bright colors on radar, and it delivered. Heavy wet snow.
january_16-18_2018_nc_snow_map.png

Early Jan 2018 is the one that stands out to me. There were some places like Greenville, NC that recorded it's coldest 12 day stretch or so of any winter period ever, dating back to the late 1800's. People were skating on ponds and creeks. Hard to imagine we will ever see those kinds of things again, but who knows. I made sure to take pictures / videos during that stretch of stuff frozen everywhere

We got yelled off the pond shortly after. (Rightfully so) lol
Greenville, NC Jan 2018
A82C45F3-8698-4241-9911-D317D596C78E.jpeg

Pattern looks fabulous going forward. With our "change" really starting in earnest in the mid-term now its only a matter of time before we start seeing some more winter events popping up.

January 28th is etched in my memory forever, even over the 10 inches of snow in December 2017. I may not ever see four inches of snow on the ground at -3F in Clay County, AL ever again.

That was my last winter in Alabama and I will just never forget living between Birmingham and Atlanta and watching the chaos in both cities... It was something to behold

It is sort of ironic that February 2021 was my last winter in Dallas ? I'm noting a trend... ?

After the table setter storm (southernwx should TM that term), the CMC Ens has the best looking pattern with the most wintry ensemble members at the moment. Would be nice to see model agreement on this kind of west based block, but we don't have that at the moment.

5 Day pattern image for Dec 16 to 21...

7Ewtl5J.png

1OybSCa.gif

After the table setter storm (southernwx should TM that term), the CMC Ens has the best looking pattern with the most wintry ensemble members at the moment. Would be nice to see model agreement on this kind of west based block, but we don't have that at the moment.

5 Day pattern image for Dec 16 to 21...

7Ewtl5J.png

1OybSCa.gif
Give me a dose of 16 plz!
Hopefully cmc is leading the way here

Back