• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Does the monster low in the Plains early next week, shuffle up the pattern and make it more favorable?? Looks like a storm of that caliber, may have been what the models were missing and or making for the wild run to run swings?
It is the tablesetter that starts up the pattern change.

Does the monster low in the Plains early next week, shuffle up the pattern and make it more favorable?? Looks like a storm of that caliber, may have been what the models were missing and or making for the wild run to run swings?
I believe it is. It cuts across the Plains and through the Ohio Valley and then helps to set up the 50/50 low

You need a little ridge to take suppression off the table for a good storm in the SE. It’s a razor fine line!
I don't even have the word 'suppression' in my vocabulary. You could have lows tracking from Mexico City to Havana, and it wouldn't bother me a bit. Give me all the cold you got. We'll find some moisture in that Gulf

I believe it is. It cuts across the Plains and through the Ohio Valley and then helps to set up the 50/50 low
This kind of reminds me of the big pattern changing storms of November of 1989 and again in 2010. Both had lots of rain and the 1989 event was a major severe outbreak. Next week should have severe with it too but not in the CAD areas.

This kind of reminds me of the big pattern changing storms of November of 1989 and again in 2010. Both had lots of rain and the 1989 event was a major severe outbreak. Next week should have severe with it too but not in the CAD areas.
Those are both years that I’ve seen similarities in the models to those patterns.

If you play your cards right here you send energy out of the SW shear it while bringing secondary energy out of the arctic and you can theoretically get a similar result to Dec 2010
It's possible I guess that we get the latter of Dec to be a lot like 1989 too. That big storm right before Christmas though would leave most of us if we got another low to take that same track. Wilmington got down to 0 one morning after that big storm. Only cirrus cloud cover kept many other places going that low.

If you play your cards right here you send energy out of the SW shear it while bringing secondary energy out of the arctic and you can theoretically get a similar result to Dec 2010
For sure. ?

ecmwf_z500_vort_namer_fh222-240.gif

If we are staring at this potential in another 4-5 days, it's five-alarm time. Heck, we'll probably have already witnessed some of those epic Dec. 2010 euro runs by that time....

Last edited:
Back