• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

With such a strong -NAO and a block developing, it is only a matter of time before the cold hits here in the SE. This pattern is really reminiscent of 1989 where we had a very cold and icy December. Problem is what happened after Jan 1 of 1990 after that cold December. Moral of the story is hopefully we get some winter precip in December lest Jan-Mar turns out very mild like it did that winter

I wouldn’t worry about that to much atm, thats a look that would sneak cold down, but we’re probably gonna see a -EPO event in a couple weeks when tropical forcing returns back in that favor (WPAC). having that TPV on our side is gonna be our supply for the time being. Only thing I would worry about is before the -EPO event we end up getting a +EPO like what yesterdays CMCE/GFS runs showed, do not want to do that otherwise we block pacific air like 2021
Im starting to like long range forecasting827B3AF5-48AB-4C76-BDA9-B3A55F89A2E1.png

With such a strong -NAO and a block developing, it is only a matter of time before the cold hits here in the SE. This pattern is really reminiscent of 1989 where we had a very cold and icy December. Problem is what happened after Jan 1 of 1990 after that cold December. Moral of the story is hopefully we get some winter precip in December lest Jan-Mar turns out very mild like it did that winter
There’s some similarities between what’s showing for 10 days out or so to what how December ‘89 started out. The first winter storm for the Carolinas that year came in on December 8-9 ( something about those dates) and it was big ice/sleet storm for the NC Piedmont and SC Upstate that finished as snow and a big snowstorm for the mountains then up into VA and the Mid-Atlantic. The NC/SC Shrine Bowl Game was played in CLT that year at old Memorial Stadium in snow and sleet.

Summerhaven, a mountain town about an hours drive from Tucson, at 8,000ft, is now forecast to get 12-24” of snow with the winter storm moving in next Monday. Definitely will be driving out that way. Euro has a few flakes in Tucson (2,500ft) after a bunch of cold rain. GFS says no snow in Tucson, lowest snow level around 4,000ft

I haven't seen snow since March 29th. Too long. Here's a photo from that day in Summerhaven, AZ. Was extra cool since it was a thundersnow event.

Wbx3GRN.png

There’s some similarities between what’s showing for 10 days out or so to what how December ‘89 started out. The first winter storm for the Carolinas that year came in on December 8-9 ( something about those dates) and it was big ice/sleet storm for the NC Piedmont and SC Upstate that finished as snow and a big snowstorm for the mountains then up into VA and the Mid-Atlantic. The NC/SC Shrine Bowl Game was played in CLT that year at old Memorial Stadium in snow and sleet.
Wow, I somehow didn’t know that about the 89 shrine bowl.

Yeah agree, the Cali wave should kick on out, and once it setups up shop over the NE and off the NE coast, that would be the time for a potential winter storm chance. I think the bigger question is what happens down the line. I would like to see the Atlantic side anomaly centers be more dominant (like CMC Ens - 1st image) instead of the Pacific side anomaly centers being dominant (like EPS - 2nd image.....GEFS is like this as well). But at any rate, first step is to get the initial cool/cold plunge in here

jcEhHsD.png

y2Br3g0.png

Catching up on the runs today, really nice to see the ridging retrograde west more and hook up with the Alaskan ridge. I agree, the missing element seems to still be too much dominance by the western trough. The cold spills east, but it's not "releasing the hounds". What do we need to look for, what changes do we need to have for the Atlantic trough to become the dominate one?

I don't blame people who are apprehensive because the models have been less than stellar, but we want a pacific that favors cold weather for us. No sugar coating that one.

grit, Don't these things (SSW) take a couple weeks to have an effect for us locally in the SE?
The traditional top-down SSW does take time from Strat PV weakening > SSW > Upper Strat warming downwelling into the troposphere. The ideal case would be where we have ongoing tropospheric blocking (like we do now) such that if we do get a SSW, the downwelling process wouldn't be necessary. Bottom line is that it's difficult (thought not impossible) to get an extended period of quality -AO/-NAO blocking without a weak strat PV and/or SSW

The traditional top-down SSW does take time from Strat PV weakening > SSW > Upper Strat warming downwelling into the troposphere. The ideal case would be where we have ongoing tropospheric blocking (like we do now) such that if we do get a SSW, the downwelling process wouldn't be necessary. Bottom line is that it's difficult (thought not impossible) to get an extended period of quality -AO/-NAO blocking without a weak strat PV and/or SSW
I would take an extended -ao/nao if we cant realize a SSW. Dr. Simon Lee isn't sold on a SSW as of yet.

Back