• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

CMC kinda resembles the euro to me
b7c51096d273bf01568b3a6a630d77ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice the gfs/cmc is weakening our -NAO but now starting to show tall pacific ridges lol. We just can’t got both to coincide
I mean the processes that produce the tall western ridge will often weaken the -NAO. Like I said earlier though, I do think the -NAO will have some staying power though it may fluctuate some on strength.

It’s showing a trend, and I use that word loosely when referring to the GFS, towards higher heights along the east coast and lower heights back west. Big change in the last 48 hours. Unfavorable but no one was really expecting this time period to produce. I think the only concern to be had is the kicking of the can. When does it stop?
Bet the streak! W Coast trough is here, it’s not a mirage and most runs seem to come back to that after some waffling

Yep, CMC is on the Euro train. Looks tasty. GFS gets to where it needs to go late in the run
What do you think about the prospects of severe weather as the pattern changes? I know from looking back there have been some winter severe weather outbreaks in the southeast as blocking builds in and leads to a colder pattern?

What do you think about the prospects of severe weather as the pattern changes? I know from looking back there have been some winter severe weather outbreaks in the southeast as blocking builds in and leads to a colder pattern?
With respect to me commenting on severe weather, this quote comes to mind…

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”
- Abe Lincoln

Euro pushing back cooler pattern outside of 240 hours now. EPS warmer than 12z (still not a horrible look). CFS warming trend each run. GFS/GEFS are king. I hate to say it but that’s what happening.

0z from yesterday on 12/16 2m temps

e303fd24e2cf188661e70c7a84a08242.jpg

12z today on 12/16 2m temps
e189b47049dfe6e265f074f26e39408f.jpg

0z today on 12/16 2m Temps
a3bede4b494b182184a73b58911a9379.jpg

I know many won’t like this post but it needs to be shown. A slow but steady warming trend. I chose this time because because this is when I believe that change was going to occur. I know many of you don’t want to believe it or accept the fact that this is a warming trend but it clearly is. First off, on the EURO and EPS the “pattern change” is getting delayed each run (things you don’t want to see). Also, the cold is getting less and less impressive each run (the 850s are also warming each run). This is obviously a bad trend for cold lovers, but assuring us that the GEFS could possibly be king.

6z GFS is so terrible it's funny. It would indicate most of us wouldn't see freezing temps until at least day 14. And even that would be a quick hitting cool spell before the warmth comes back leading up to Christmas.

Edit: it does look to move towards a favorable pattern right at the end, which would be a few days before Christmas.

Last edited:
Been watching my weather station back home today and I have to say that’s been a pretty persistent band of rain moving through north Georgia all day. Looks like it has been nearly continuous light to moderate rain there since about 1:15 PM

Already approaching 1.75” for the day and looks like a few more hours of rain are possible tonight. In addition to the 2.5” last week and there’s been a pretty decent burst of rainfall these past 7 days.
I'm waking up to 3.55" in the gauge since yesterday. A major overperformer here.

The 0z EPS 850mb Mean is pretty much singing same tune as it was yesterday at 12z for My back yard. Its only about 12-15 hours latter with the arrival of below normal 850 temps from hour 240 all the way out to hr 360 which is as far as it goes. This isn't advertising Vodka cold at the surface, never has. Just shows the potential to run slightly below normal. As far as what can be offered at 500mb to whip up a storm, that's impossible to tell from 10 days out. Really about all one can ask for at this point, especially in light of last years December Roast Fest. See for yourself off pivotal. We would all love to have the Royal Flush pattern ( -NAO,+PNA etc). But right now the Scraps the -NAO is hopefully going to throw us, will be enough to cook something up, if not that then hopefully prevent another Torchmas Season.

Back