• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Euro Control Run

MeX5X8Q.gif

QEmd1f9.gif

Dang that setup is close to absolutely blistering cold.

I honestly think the euro is going to cave. The euro/eps has burned us in giving us several times. They are both so consistent on showing complete opposite outcomes. Will be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you going to ignore verification scores?

So what are we doing. Euro showing cold and GFS showing warm. When does one cave?
At the end of the day just never trust the gfs whether is shows cold or warm/ bad or good.. it’s really just something to look at to see if it can align with the other models but I don’t put a bunch of stock in it especially since it was upgraded with worse verification scores.

Do not be shocked. It happens more often than you think. Warning you now.

Occasionally it has happened with individual storms in an established pattern, but not with the overall wide scale pattern. The development of the blocking and -NAO has followed right along with the Euro/EPS combo

Occasionally it has happened with individual storms in an established pattern, but with the overall wide scale pattern. The development of the blocking and -NAO has followed right along with the Euro/EPS combo

I’ve just heard the the Euro/EPS Have a bad reputation for developing +PNA’s that don’t verify. I understand your point though

Some thoughts on the pattern going forward, what the heck...

I don't see any reason not to be optimistic of the prospects for wintry weather (i.e. a better than average pattern) for the period Dec 20 to Jan 10 when considering the expected upcoming +EAsia Mtn Torque episodes plus the MJO combining with the La Nina signal and progressing from Indonesia to WPac to SAmerica. I think any slow down of the MJO in the Indian Ocean is just a blip, as this isn't a slow moving MJO that initiates in the Indian Ocean and slowly moves east. Rather, this is more of a weak MJO signal that is cycling, and it doesn't impart a significant signal on the pattern until it combines with the ongoing La Nina convection in the Maritime Continent.

The NAO is a wildcard in my mind. On one hand, we are going to be losing some of the lower stratosphere support for -NAO in the near term (-NAO is 7 times more likely when the lower stratosphere is in a weak state). On the other hand, the aforementioned +EAsia Mtn Torque and MJO progression would favor renewed blocking per historical cases. A pattern of solid western ridging combined with a heavy -NAO would move this pattern to a 5 (excellent).

Post Jan 10, I think we could see a relaxation in wintry prospects.

Those are my thoughts. As always, any long range forecasts / ideas are no better than an educated best guess.

One last thing: every single winter storm / every single cold pattern that has come to fruition has 'faced' mounds of doubters and haters on weather boards and in the cyber world. That's just the way it is. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't

I’ve just heard the the Euro/EPS Have a bad reputation for developing +PNA’s that don’t verify. I understand your point though

Ultimately I think it’s going to be a bit of the blend of the two with a lean on the final outcome to the Euro/EPS. I don’t know that we ever see a true +PNA in the pattern as I suspect it will max out around neutral… between 0-.3. That’s ok though because I think the blocking will be strong enough to control the pattern for some time.

Back