• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I’ve just heard the the Euro/EPS Have a bad reputation for developing +PNA’s that don’t verify. I understand your point though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe in the early 2000's. It's been pretty good lately.

ps2png-worker-commands-7966bbb85c-ktm96-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-Xw2gZb.png

I’ve just heard the the Euro/EPS Have a bad reputation for developing +PNA’s that don’t verify. I understand your point though

Well for those hating on the GEFS let's look at how it's doing vs the EPS in the long range.

This is what the GEFS had a week ago for this upcoming Saturday.Screenshot_20221205_194646_Gallery.jpg

This is what it has now 5 days out when skill is higherScreenshot_20221205_194631_Gallery.jpg

Now the EPS long range
Screenshot_20221205_194606_Gallery.jpg

EPS now for this Saturday
Screenshot_20221205_194616_Gallery.jpg

They both did ok but the nod goes to the GEFS. It had less ridge bridging up top and a signal for a stronger west coast trough than the EPS

Well for those hating on the GEFS let's look at how it's doing vs the EPS in the long range.

This is what the GEFS had a week ago for this upcoming Saturday.View attachment 124858

This is what it has now 5 days out when skill is higherView attachment 124859

Now the EPS long range
View attachment 124860

EPS now for this Saturday
View attachment 124861

They both did ok but the nod goes to the GEFS. It had less ridge bridging up top and a signal for a stronger west coast trough than the EPS

Thank you . GEFS is a solid model.

So what are we doing. Euro showing cold and GFS showing warm. When does one cave?
Once the details get ironed out. Too many moving parts for the models to be consistent but hey continue to react to the runs individually instead of letting the pattern come around. That’s half the fun.

Thank you . GEFS is a solid model.

Agreed… of course it’s operational cousin is off it’s rocker a lot of times. I think the thing with these models is that they all have biases that let them pick up on different situations and set ups more effectively than others

All you need to do is look at how it’s see sawing run to run. You don’t need to do any further analysis. The GEFS is nothing more than a low res deterministic model. It isn’t setup correctly and does not function the way an ensemble should (IMO). But what do I know?!
I try not to take any model over 10 days seriously because they all flip flop. They do that inside 7 days some too. But it did look like both the EPS and the GEFS had the general pattern of east coast ridging and west coast troughing for this week correct nearly 300 hrs out. Luck? Probably but the point of that post is the GEFS can't be discounted because it doesn't show what people want. All models are essentially throwing darts at the wall past 10 days.

I think we should watch the wpo and epo. If they trend negative, it's going to get cold! The gefs, imo, handles the pacific pretty good so we shall see if eps trends towards gefs or gefs trends towards the eps. They should never have touched the gfs with updating it. They say don't fix what's not broken??. It was better before this change or whatever they did to it

I try not to take any model over 10 days seriously because they all flip flop. They do that inside 7 days some too. But it did look like both the EPS and the GEFS had the general pattern of east coast ridging and west coast troughing for this week correct nearly 300 hrs out. Luck? Probably but the point of that post is the GEFS can't be discounted because it doesn't show what people want. All models are essentially throwing darts at the wall past 10 days.
Ultimately what I look for is consistency and does it make sense. To me during the last 7-10 days, the EPS has really been very steady and consistent with it’s depiction and it continues to make sense with how the pattern reacts to high latitude blocking. The GEFS to me has seen some wild swings at times. Also like I said earlier it’s important to know the biases and we know that historically the EPS handles strong blocking better and what it does to the overall pattern

What is this showing
It’s showing a trend, and I use that word loosely when referring to the GFS, towards higher heights along the east coast and lower heights back west. Big change in the last 48 hours. Unfavorable but no one was really expecting this time period to produce. I think the only concern to be had is the kicking of the can. When does it stop?

Been watching my weather station back home today and I have to say that’s been a pretty persistent band of rain moving through north Georgia all day. Looks like it has been nearly continuous light to moderate rain there since about 1:15 PM

Already approaching 1.75” for the day and looks like a few more hours of rain are possible tonight. In addition to the 2.5” last week and there’s been a pretty decent burst of rainfall these past 7 days.

Back