• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Minor run to run change. Mostly noise. ? View attachment 124822View attachment 124823
WOW! Did someone say we now have the new and improved version of the GFS? I think the old MRF was more consistent even if it wasn't that accurate. You do see fluctuations in the EPS and the GEPS but not a completely opposite idea on the configuration of the systems top to bottom almost every run. After 5 days it seems the GFS is useless!

Not a huge fan of the overnight model runs. Even the gefs and eps backed down quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t see anything to be concerned. Still continuing the general theme. There’s gonna be fluctuations from run to run especially more than a few days out. The GFS on the other hand… I’m honestly finding it harder and harder to take seriously… fluctuations are one thing, but going back on forth on large scale patterns every 6 hours is rediculous

We should have put this disclaimer in this thread over a week ago. Most already know this, but as has been posted above from overnight. You will get run to run massive changes on models LR and even in the medium range. Espeacilly American suite. Its a bummer as we like to watch Models for clues and try to solve the puzzle daily.

Robert said it best a few post back.

"Models have a tough time adjusting the wavelengths and paths of storms when huge blocks like this show up, so if you're a model watcher--expect volatile run to run changes. But in time they must bend to fit the driver of the pattern, which is this gigantic monster of a long lasting block.....the best in a few years."

I didn’t see anything to be concerned. Still continuing the general theme. There’s gonna be fluctuations from run to run especially more than a few days out. The GFS on the other hand… I’m honestly finding it harder and harder to take seriously… fluctuations are one thing, but going back on forth on large scale patterns every 6 hours is rediculous

Yeah I get that. I’m honestly not even going to look at the GFS anymore. But the ensembles are meh. Still slightly below to average. I guess that’s not the worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good trends on the EPS continue and are moving forward in time.

eps_z500a_nhem_fh240_trend (2).gif

GEFS doesn't look as good at D10 and also seems much more erratic (a hallmark of the GEFS IMO). I personally think the GEFS is by far the worst ensemble suite and I put little stock in it good or bad. Been burned many times using it.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_fh240_trend.gif

Also the Euro look around D7-10 is intriguing in some ways. If the timing/separation of the wavelengths were to change -- possible with how far out this is and the strength of the block over Hudson Bay and flow getting blocked up -- a much more suppressed system could develop with the players on the field on the 00z Euro. Would need more wave separation and a strong lead system to setup a strong 50/50 under the block, with trailing energy to carve out the trailing trough and attendant storm, but it could happen who knows. Just something interesting IMO to watch.

ecmwf_z500_vort_namer_fh150-240.gif

ecmwf_T850_namer_fh150-240.gif

Good trends on the EPS continue and are moving forward in time.

View attachment 124836

GEFS doesn't look as good at D10 and also seems much more erratic (a hallmark of the GEFS IMO). I personally think the GEFS is by far the worst ensemble suite and I put little stock in it good or bad. Been burned many times using it.

View attachment 124837

Agree, EPS looks much better. But per previous posts from Webb and Grit, it seemed like the GEFS had a better handle on the tropical forcing in the Indian Ocean and was more likely right in the Pacific's development pattern. That was my takeaway, anyway. Thus I'm hesitant to go all in on it.

Here's to hoping the weekend system can bomb into the 950s off the EC
Maybe we can get some help from an Atlantic recurving TC :p

two_atl_5d0.png

Back