• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I just now realized that today is the 20th anniversary of one the worst ice storms ever to hit the Carolinas. Everyone that went through that will always remember the sounds of trees snapping and power transformers popping. I was living in Concord, NC at the time and after a really quick 1/2” of sleet/snow, precip changed to light freezing rain and and it continued steady for 18 hours. Biggest ice accrual I’ve personally witnessed just a bit over an inch thick.
Something else that was impressive about this storm was the temperatures. A very strong CAD that caused temperature drops of 30-35 degrees in a matter of 12 hours or so before precip began. During the storm, temperatures hovered between 25-28 in my location for the entire storm. So much for latent heating

It's honestly better that it won't be super cold due to the fact that the coldest patterns tend to be dry.

If you want snow, you want it cold but not too cold.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Usually this is the case, the very cold air is too dry to produce winter precipitation and by the time the next system arrives, the temperatures are too warm to produce any thing but some ice at the onset. I do remember when I was a teenager the March 2, 1980 storm that blanketed Eastern North Carolina with some of the most impressive snowfall totals ever seen there. I was living in Eastern Wake County then and the high temperature that day at my location on the bulb thermometer that day was 17 degrees. I ended up getting around fifteen inches of snow out of that storm. That and the January 24-25 snowstorm in 2000 are two storms I will never forget. Good memories for me!

I'm calling it rn, December as a whole will probably be about average for my area and NC in general, outside of the first few days of next week there doesn't seem to be much prolonged torching. And unless something goes horribly wrong, the forecast pattern change could offset the torch.

The main thing that could keep us above average is the warm lows, which seems to be a problem in recent winters.

Man if surface temps weren’t so warm this would have potential
6c448a205539df8b8ede5b7873896fdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm calling it rn, December as a whole will probably be about average for my area and NC in general, outside of the first few days of next week there doesn't seem to be much prolonged torching. And unless something goes horribly wrong, the forecast pattern change could offset the torch.

The main thing that could keep us above average is the warm lows, which seems to be a problem in recent winters.

If I had to bet money on what I’m seeing right now, I would still bet that KCLT ends up just slightly above average for the month. Later this week is absolutely gonna torch for several days, especially overnight as we may have 3 straight nights with lows in the 50s to near 60…. a good 20 degree + above average. Even after that, while daytime temps will be fairly close to average, we probably have to wait a week or so before getting back down to average or below on lows.

If I had to bet money on what I’m seeing right now, I would still bet that KCLT ends up just slightly above average for the month. Later this week is absolutely gonna torch for several days, especially overnight as we may have 3 straight nights with lows in the 50s to near 60…. a good 20 degree + above average. Even after that, while daytime temps will be fairly close to average, we probably have to wait a week or so before getting back down to average or below on lows.
I am tired of 70 degree weather!!!!!!

I just love seeing the colors lol. I know it’s 1000% wrong and never going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that exact solution will probably never happen, but that is right at the beginning of the timeframe I think we might have potential. -AO holding strong, intensity of the -NAO relaxes slightly, PNA just about neutral, and the MJO in a good position. I know Fro likes this time frame as well.

Back