• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Very strong look for a 10-15 mean. I would tend to think that the Mid-Atlantic folks would be first in line, but if the block is as strong as some of the projections, we could get in the game before Christmas. If we could get a good 4 week period loaded with potential from the third week of December through January, it’s about as good as it gets.

Thanks for the long term pattern analysis!

Okhotsk low retreating at the end of the EPS. -EPO event is appearing in the rear view mirror ?View attachment 124530
The GEFS says "Don't forget about me!"

3lhwyFH.gif

Seems like we go through this every December … looking good , but just keeps on getting pushed out further . Let’s pump the brakes little on big cold coming soon. Pacific got work to do still. Need taller Alaska ridge wouldn’t hurt
Here's a comparison of Sunday's EPS with today's for the period Dec 6-12. Indeed, it does look like we are still getting to a similar ending, but the progression is happening a touch slower. Compared to Sunday's version, today's version has: 1) less of the cold TPV in southern Canada getting tucked up underneath the block, 2) more SE Ridge, 3) more low pressure off Cali, 4) less ridging thru AK, 5) disruptive cold low over Siberia is closer to AK.
rjFXh5y.gif

Seems like we go through this every December … looking good , but just keeps on getting pushed out further . Let’s pump the brakes little on big cold coming soon. Pacific got work to do still. Need taller Alaska ridge wouldn’t hurt
What are you talking about? There’s nothing getting pushed out further on these model runs… they’re still showing showing a favorable pattern setting up late next week/ weekend. Also, no one’s been saying that big cold is coming soon… we’re simply looking at a pattern that will promote a sustained and possibly extended period of cooler than average temperatures and potentially stormy.

Like I said the other day. There is no perfect pattern for snow here. The modeled pattern doesn't look that cold. If we connect the blocks up top we lose cross polar flow and we will have temp issues. If we had a tall western ridge and cross polar flow with a +NAO we rely on timing and we have to be really lucky to time something.

With that said I'd prefer the modeled pattern even if not frigid can lock in below average temps and slow the flow and cause storms to get hung in the 50/50 region giving confluence and pushing the storm track south. My opinion that gives us higher chances to score. Question is will it be cold enough or will we get 33 and rain?
Agree with your ideas here. Only part I disagree on is with respect to connecting blocks up top. If we could pump ridging up into AK to combine with this big Greenland block, a lot of cold air would get sent into the CONUS to go with a slowed flow...it would be full on winter.

Think we will have to be a bit patient with the block and see how it progresses. In the early stages, it looks like the Pacific side is going to put up a good fight. To win that battle, we're going to need to see the couplet of the Greenland Block and developing low underneath be strong as you mention. Hopefully in time, the Pacific pattern improves while we are still hanging on to a nice Atlantic side pattern.

Having said all that, I'm sure we will see some surprises going forward

Some drier air finally moving in tomorrow and hanging around through next week. Still significantly warmer than normal but with a dew around 60F it won’t feel oppressive.

Back