• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Like I said the other day. There is no perfect pattern for snow here. The modeled pattern doesn't look that cold. If we connect the blocks up top we lose cross polar flow and we will have temp issues. If we had a tall western ridge and cross polar flow with a +NAO we rely on timing and we have to be really lucky to time something.

With that said I'd prefer the modeled pattern even if not frigid can lock in below average temps and slow the flow and cause storms to get hung in the 50/50 region giving confluence and pushing the storm track south. My opinion that gives us higher chances to score. Question is will it be cold enough or will we get 33 and rain?

I'm just SE of Miami (yes the climate is tropical). Winter averages at the nearest station (Miami Beach) are Dec: 76/64, Jan: 74/61, Feb: 75/63. Horrible obviously but it's especially bad to be hot even in what are typically the pleasant months. And cool months are possible though rare. December 2010 averaged 69/50 here.

The difference in terms of comfort between a typical December day (76/64 with dews in the 50's) and a day like tomorrow (82/73 with a dew around 70) is massive. And yeah. I do "expect" cool weather here within reason. A normal winter here has ~10 days with a low in the 40's and a coldest day around 58/41.
Damn, My average highs are in the 40s from around December 7th until very late February. I couldn’t do Florida or even San Diego where I grew up. I like cold and snow to much, especially during the holiday season. I remember in California when we’d get strong Santa Ana winds and it would be 90 around Christmas time. No thanks! current temp is 39 degrees here at noon and I love it!

Given the incessant record heat this past month has been and how warm the start to December will be I'm glad January looks quite different. Jubilant January!!

utzTbad.png

I've noticed persistent ridging over the western Caribbean around winter the last several years causing S FL to roast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said the other day. There is no perfect pattern for snow here. The modeled pattern doesn't look that cold. If we connect the blocks up top we lose cross polar flow and we will have temp issues. If we had a tall western ridge and cross polar flow with a +NAO we rely on timing and we have to be really lucky to time something.

With that said I'd prefer the modeled pattern even if not frigid can lock in below average temps and slow the flow and cause storms to get hung in the 50/50 region giving confluence and pushing the storm track south. My opinion that gives us higher chances to score. Question is will it be cold enough or will we get 33 and rain?
I don’t really see any signs that this is coming from a cross polar flow… if it were then we’d absolutely be having to worry about suppression. This more from the cold air that has been building over Alaska and Canada for the last few weeks…. Which I think is fine as long as we don’t see anything that floods Canada with moist Pacific air

With the potential upcoming pattern change that is being discussed I have heard a lot of talk regarding the year 2010. Are there any other previous decades that this potential pattern resembles?

This is the easily the best EPS run so far at H5, the strongest signal yet View attachment 124524View attachment 124525View attachment 124526
It's really the 5 day period after this -- if we can continue to hold this look -- that excites me. The west-based, -NAO is established with a signal for additional Pacific waves to move onshore and take a suppressed track. Anything before the 15th would be gravy, but that time period opening around the 16th-18th onward is when it's going to get exciting for most on here I believe.

Back