• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

It's about to be time for somebody to go up in the attic and dig down to the bottom of that box way over there in the corner and pull out the guarantee stamp that's been patiently waiting for all these years underneath all the faded, yellowed-out pictures and letters and paper...waiting for just the right moment to rekindle that Christmas magic of long ago. It's just about time.

Lol. Man every winter, and every storm, I can kind of tell by your posts how meh you think the pattern and or storm threat is. Even when the hype is strong, you casually, subliminally, comedically, but tactfully communicate your overwhelming meh. Many times it turns out right. This is the first winter month in a while I've seen you actually excited and hopeful. It's getting contagious and making me hopeful!

And with that said, I blame you if it doesn't work out. Fyi

Lol. Man every winter, and every storm, I can kind of tell by your posts how meh you think the pattern and or storm threat is. Even when the hype is strong, you casually, subliminally, comedically, but tactfully communicate your overwhelming meh. Many times it turns out right. This is the first winter month in a while I've seen you actually excited and hopeful. It's getting contagious and making me hopeful!

And with that said, I blame you if it doesn't work out. Fyi
The RC tone metric should be added to the indices

I will say back in 2010-11 it took until beginning of January before the pattern became ripe for winter storms and that carried on until mid February and then winter pretty much ended.
No it didn’t take that long that year. The NW NC Piedmont and Foothills had a significant snowfall on 12/4/2010 and there were a couple more smaller systems in the climo favored areas and small icing event for the Piedmont around 12/17. Then of course there was a big storm that moved in on Christmas Day and continued for most of the day after. The pattern was very active that December

No it didn’t take that long that year. The NW NC Piedmont and Foothills had a significant snowfall on 12/4/2010 and there were a couple more smaller systems in the climo favored areas and small icing event for the Piedmont around 12/17. Then of course there was a big storm that moved in on Christmas Day and continued for most of the day after. The pattern was very active that December
I guess I meant for my area and the whole southeast in general jan 9-10.

Your iguana falling once a winter 40 degree morning is coming soon
Those fuckers are everywhere. We almost got rid of them completely in 2010 with the "frigid" (relative to average) Jan and December that year but within a few years they were as plentiful as ever.

Here's to hoping for the great iguana massacre of winter 2022-2023 to become a reality.

It seems like Florida is warmer than normal more than most places, which I don't understand. The entire eastern half of the US can be below normal and somehow FL will be above normal.
I mean you are just south of Miami right? Is the climate there not considered tropical? I know some cold snaps can reach your way every few years, but do you really expect to ever see cool weather there? Not trying to be rude or anything… I’ve just always thought south Florida residents expect warm and humid in the winter

I mean you are just south of Miami right? Is the climate there not considered tropical? I know some cold snaps can reach your way every few years, but do you really expect to ever see cool weather there? Not trying to be rude or anything… I’ve just always thought south Florida residents expect warm and humid in the winter
I'm just SE of Miami (yes the climate is tropical). Winter averages at the nearest station (Miami Beach) are Dec: 76/64, Jan: 74/61, Feb: 75/63. Horrible obviously but it's especially bad to be hot even in what are typically the pleasant months. And cool months are possible though rare. December 2010 averaged 69/50 here.

The difference in terms of comfort between a typical December day (76/64 with dews in the 50's) and a day like tomorrow (82/73 with a dew around 70) is massive. And yeah. I do "expect" cool weather here within reason. A normal winter here has ~10 days with a low in the 40's and a coldest day around 58/41.

Last edited:
I'm just SE of Miami (yes the climate is tropical). Winter averages at the nearest station (Miami Beach) are Dec: 76/64, Jan: 74/61, Feb: 75/63. Horrible obviously but it's especially bad to be hot even in what are typically the pleasant months. And cool months are possible though rare. December 2010 averaged 69/50 here.

The difference in terms of comfort between a typical December day (76/64 with dews in the 50's) and a day like tomorrow (82/73 with a dew around 70) is massive. And yeah. I do "expect" cool weather here within reason. A normal winter here has ~10 days with a low in the 40's and a coldest day around 58/41.
Wow… I honestly didn’t realize that you saw that many days in the 40s. I certainly understand about wanting to see the lower dewpoints.

Wow… I honestly didn’t realize that you saw that many days in the 40s. I certainly understand about wanting to see the lower dewpoints.
We're quite variable in that regard. In Miami the last dozen years there has been one year (2010) with 43 lows below 50F (and 9 below 40F) while 2019 had only 3 lows in the 40's and none in the 30's.

Last 20 years of sub-50F lows here. It's sucked for a while now

xL37V9l.png

Back