• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

It seems like it’s been so long since we had one of those…it used to seem like we would be good for at least one every year or two

Yeah Rain Cold and I mentioned this way back, there was a time when I'd watch the weather Channel 5 day planner and whenever I saw pink and blue shades show up in Texas, I knew there was a threat about to come east. That was the basis for my tracking back then. Lol. Most of the time though when that happened, frozen would be mentioned in the local news. It worked. Simpler times. ⛄

Last edited:
Yesterday's vs. Today's Happy Hour GEFS

EX0ZxW2.gif

0x9eF95.gif

This is basically how things are breaking down mid to late December. Cold air finally being able to pour further into the US from Alaska, some pieces of energy from pacific trying to help any pieces of energy that get stuck under the block and shoved south.. then that blocking slowing everything down giving time for amplification and potentially storm development.. a very pretty sight to see right out the gate this winter. A pattern that models go crazy in (so best not to get too attached to any one deterministic model) but that ensembles help smooth out the confusion. If this all keeps up we will be seeing more and more in the way of fantasy runs sooner rather than later. A3DAD9F2-47D4-4FC2-BFC1-D6CA2F93A4C0.jpeg

I just had a chance to look at the updated teleconnections, and you can certainly see why the ensembles are going so big on the blocking. The NAO now looks to go between -2 to -2.5 and the AO right about -3. I would have to check but I’m fairly certain those are the lowest December values on each of those since 2010. Even the MJO now to me is starting to look better… it’s getting lower amped as it comes out phase 7 and goes into COD in phase 8… it makes a run through phase 1 and 2 in COD and as it starts to head towards phases 3 and 4 it starts to loop back towards 8, but staying in the circle… the biggest key on that to me though is that it stays low amp

It's about to be time for somebody to go up in the attic and dig down to the bottom of that box way over there in the corner and pull out the guarantee stamp that's been patiently waiting for all these years underneath all the faded, yellowed-out pictures and letters and paper...waiting for just the right moment to rekindle that Christmas magic of long ago. It's just about time.

It's about to be time for somebody to go up in the attic and dig down to the bottom of that box way over there in the corner and pull out the guarantee stamp that's been patiently waiting for all these years underneath all the faded, yellowed-out pictures and letters and paper...waiting for just the right moment to rekindle that Christmas magic of long ago. It's just about time.
You in?

I'm kinda shocked with the nao and ao dropping to pretty low values, that models aren't more aggressive with cold. I feel imo the big monkey wrench is the flat Aleutian ridge and until that shifts or becomes poleward, it will be longer than we think before cold weather sets in. We shall see

I'm kinda shocked with the nao and ao dropping to pretty low values, that models aren't more aggressive with cold. I feel imo the big monkey wrench is the flat Aleutian ridge and until that shifts or becomes poleward, it will be longer than we think before cold weather sets in. We shall see
The Greenland block is the key.

I will say back in 2010-11 it took until beginning of January before the pattern became ripe for winter storms and that carried on until mid February and then winter pretty much ended.

Back