Pattern Dazzling December

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Really nice to see a potential second half December pattern that's not a torch on the horizon. However right now I'm leaning toward the "wish we had a PNA" camp. The -NAO just doesn't seem to get us very cold per model output. Coldest air is still out west. That and thinking about 2021 when we had a decent -NAO but we only managed cold rain after cold rain because it just couldn't get quite cold enough. Maybe this time is different, cold in Canada is better, block is real deal this time, we can CAD better etc....but I'm not really sold until the modeled -NAO can show me some solid cold in the SE with the TPV is Maine. Lol.

View attachment 124273
View attachment 124275
We have a slightly colder resovoir this time, since the prior -EPO allows colder air in, but I could see this being a issue honestly. only difference is in 2021 we had a persistent Alaskan/Aleutian low/+EPO which floods NA with pacific air, this time it’s not a huge improvement but it’s a better one Vs that year 6AA4219A-2233-4E1B-8803-2DF55633A0FA.gif

Last edited:
Pretty typical look for May. Oh wait. It's December.

qYyEIUc.png
This is actually a pretty normal map for December now. Like others have said, we can't get a below average December anymore when we have multiple days with lows in the 60s. Year after year -PNA...

CMC Ensemble gives us the aforementioned Dec-Jan 2020-2021 look that we don't want to see. The Euro Ensemble is different (better). GEFS is kind of in between, though the 12z coming in looks a little better this run.

BGpLFwh.png

HIoLgaa.png
We wouldn’t want to see that look again because it would mean a cold rain barrage, but that 500mb configuration kills the stratospheric polar vortex

I watch CFS daily for past week plus. Its been consistent. And yes your probably better off studying the wooly worm and farmers almanac. But if it changes its tune, its usualky a red flag. Fortunately it keeps beating sane drum.

Also the GFS will change up an down 4x a day LR. Block or no Block. So never get to hyped or depressed off of the pics it paints.

All that said. Record Negative NAO possible. But if there is a way to screw it up, we will find it guranteed lol. Gonna be fun watching this evolve and seeing how it impacts our local wx good bad indifferent.
This may be the culprit for the CFS's current chilly second half of Dec forecast...it's taking a slow drag through 7-8-1 within the COD....the ol' GaWx cold route

WYAzDoO.png

Can't hate the look on the gefs. Might be more of a I40 north pattern with the pacific not being ridged to the pole. We should get more western ridge involved later in the month or at least I hope we do
I40 pattern? Toss.