• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Hate to be the downer here, but I'm not liking at all the trends I'm seeing in regard to hurdle #2 that I discussed.

View attachment 125767

View attachment 125768

The 6z GFS just as an example also took another step in that direction at 138 (a borderline usable deterministic forecast hour):

View attachment 125769

Which translated to this trend later:

View attachment 125770

If this energy is going to dig southwest off the Pacific NW instead of congealing with our first system sliding east, it's at best going to delay setting up the favorable west-based -NAO. Not a fan and hope this changes, but once we start getting towards D5 you have to be alarmed at least somewhat at such trends suddenly appearing.
This is all op run of the gfs. Have we not learned to not really trust the op runs of the models currently with the anomalous blocking that is taking place? We need to lean on the ensembles instead. Just my opinion but the damn gfs spits out a different solution every 6 hours. Color me skeptical.

This is all op run of the gfs. Have we not learned to not really trust the op runs of the models currently with the anomalous blocking that is taking place? We need to lean on the ensembles instead. Just my opinion but the damn gfs spits out a different solution every 6 hours. Color me skeptical.
Go back and re-read what I wrote. The first two were the GEFS and EPS trends over the past several runs. The GFS was shown as an example of the downstream effects of changes in the shorter term, where an op can be used with some skill.

Go back and re-read what I wrote. The first two were the GEFS and EPS trends over the past several runs. The GFS was shown as an example of the downstream effects of changes in the shorter term, where an op can be used with some skill.
Ah ok I see. Well I still don't think the models have a good handle on this pattern but we could be completely shut out and be on the mild side. That would go along with Nina. But with the blocking over the top I just have my doubts but yeah we could get skunked.

Ah ok I see. Well I still don't think the models have a good handle on this pattern but we could be completely shut out and be on the mild side. That would go along with Nina. But with the blocking over the top I just have my doubts but yeah we could get skunked.
Yeah I'm not saying it's a death knell, but it could delay it. There have been several pieces of information (including a post I shared from Allan Huffman yesterday with pattern analogs) along with all of the ensembles still showing support for an eventual favorable pattern setting up, but I never like to see that get delayed because inevitably another fly in the ointment will crop up and before you know it the window of opportunity starts to close.

I am nowhere near giving up, just having a little play by play discussion of what I'm seeing and it is very possible that as the energy is better sampled it could still trend back to a better solution. Just something to keep an eye on that could send us in a less favorable direction.

Hate to be the downer here, but I'm not liking at all the trends I'm seeing in regard to hurdle #2 that I discussed.

View attachment 125767

View attachment 125768

The 6z GFS just as an example also took another step in that direction at 138 (a borderline usable deterministic forecast hour):

View attachment 125769

View attachment 125770

If this energy is going to dig southwest off the Pacific NW instead of congealing with our first system sliding east, it's at best going to delay setting up the favorable west-based -NAO. Not a fan and hope this changes, but once we start getting towards D5 you have to be alarmed at least somewhat at such trends suddenly appearing.
LOL.....The GFS has been the most inconsistent with solution output for this timeframe since it came into its forecast window. Using that as a basis for argument against the Arctic cold that is coming isn't going to age well IMO.

Wouldn’t shock me if 12z guidance takes a wrong turn if we continue to drop energy in the NW, I’m surprised that the EPS moved the trough more east faster considering it dropped energy in the NW more then any run at 00z. That pac trough is great to have here

Last edited:
LOL.....The GFS has been the most inconsistent with solution output for this timeframe since it came into its forecast window. Using that as a basis for argument against the Arctic cold that is coming isn't going to age well IMO.
He literally shows the EPS and GEFS doing the same trend lol

View attachment 125767

View attachment 125768

View attachment 125769

View attachment 125770

It’s funny because I posted this as a response to you
Yep, the most difficult one, gotta watch out because we’re in a pattern where wavelengths are short right now due to the intense blocking, if we fail, we would have to wait on a boot in the pacific trough to kick the ridge east and that would Just be another pain
We’re shortening wavelengths with this trend, worse trend in the PNW but the trough digging around the Aleutians is trending better which is the boot

Yeah I'm not saying it's a death knell, but it could delay it. There have been several pieces of information (including a post I shared from Allan Huffman yesterday with pattern analogs) along with all of the ensembles still showing support for an eventual favorable pattern setting up, but I never like to see that get delayed because inevitably another fly in the ointment will crop up and before you know it the window of opportunity starts to close.

I am nowhere near giving up, just having a little play by play discussion of what I'm seeing and it is very possible that as the energy is better sampled it could still trend back to a better solution. Just something to keep an eye on that could send us in a less favorable direction.
it's not a death knell but it's a legit concern. it's not how i would draw things up. "el paso gets snow houston gets sleet" kinda pattern

It’s funny because I posted this as a response to you

We’re shortening wavelengths with this trend, worse trend in the PNW but the trough digging around the Aleutians is trending better which is the boot
Good analysis in here Hypso / Fro, I agree. On the opposite end of the spectrum, here's a fail point that I'm watching for...we need the Pac Jet to extend else we stay in this Aleutian High / -PNA pattern. So, the combo of the big +EAsiaMtnTorq episode that is about to go down plus the W Pac tropical forcing are highly likely to extend the jet and move us toward -EPO/+PNA....but it's also possible that the jet extension is too powerful, and it plows west to east into Cali and wrecks the western ridging and we go mild with west to east flow. If this did happen, it would be temporary (i.e. we're not in a strong El Nino). And also, this could even be a good thing as, in a perfect world, we keep some western ridging in Canada combining with -AO/-NAO, and get southern stream into Cali > Texas providing the storm waves

But bottom line: the 'fundamentals' continue to look good going forward. We just have to prop our feet up and see how it all goes down. It's always a delicate balance, but I remain optimistic as ever

Yeah I agree this is a very complex and a very anomalous pattern that has already started. Fun to see it work out either way. Either we get lucky or we see a way we get screwed lol. This has been a fun pattern to track especially with all the modeling inconsistencies.

Like I said before. It’s a good thing we have a strong Aleutian low entering the picture because otherwise, we’d be on our way to failing lol View attachment 125780
100% agree. It may be our saving grace because it is slowly becoming evident we are going to have to have something to kick the tpv east vs. having it consolidate there initially.

After what happened the past couple of years, I'm still nervous about that prospect but guidance is so far pretty consistent in showing that kick happening.

Back