• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

You could have let me live happy and not shown the 18z Icon, I didn't look at it earlier now i feel like thisView attachment 125458
Well since I'm such a nice guy, I'll share that the 18z Euro (out to 90) is much further east with the energy I was talking about than the 18z GFS AND the upper low off the western US coast is also further west.

index.png

gfs.png

You will if you follow the GFS lately
Well it is a bit insane, one run has a low of 16 the next run, is a low of 45, same night????

The latest run through the 26th is a low of 38 and a high of 73 for ATL...LMAO, WTF? Etc////,...

Call me once we have some consistency of cross polar flow inside 168hrs on the global ensembles, and a mechanism to lock a cyclone around the Bay of Fundy on said ensembles. Until then, 40N is favored with boarder-line PAC washed cold, vs amplitude south enough to matter. Current ? is west, let alone south.

I meant to share this with everyone here yesterday, but couldn't find the time to put the finishing touches on it.

I gave the December 8-10 2018 snowfall map I made a few years ago a much needed facelift. Really cool to see the mesoscale banding features on here. The most obvious one goes from northern Durham Co & the northern shore of Falls Lake to Wake Forest, then Wilson & Greenville, basically along US HWY 264 east of Raleigh. You can also see another one from about Elkin (Surry Co.) to Yadkinville & Mocksville, just west of the Triad.

December 8-10 2018 NC Snowmap Reanalyzed.jpg

I meant to share this with everyone here yesterday, but couldn't find the time to put the finishing touches on it.

I gave the December 8-10 2018 snowfall map I made a few years ago a much needed facelift. Really cool to see the mesoscale banding features on here. The most obvious one goes from northern Durham Co & the northern shore of Falls Lake to Wake Forest, then Wilson & Greenville, basically along US HWY 264 east of Raleigh. You can also see another one from about Elkin (Surry Co.) to Yadkinville & Mocksville, just west of the Triad.

View attachment 125465
That's one heck of a gradient across Wake, even by Wake standards lol.

That's one heck of a gradient across Wake, even by Wake standards lol.

I personally don't recall a storm with a bigger gradient across Wake Co. Jan 1940 probably comes the closest in my mind prior to Dec 2018, but it didn't seem to have much of one across southern Wake. Big gradient between downtown Raleigh & near the airport. The northern edge of the sleet in this storm made it to about RDU/Morrisvile - Falls Lake - Louisburg. South of that, across south-central Wake to the coastal Plain, this storm was apparently primarily sleet (makes sense w/ how strong the coastal low was in reanalysis).

This is definitely another map that could use a facelift (honestly most of them could).

January 23-24 1940 NC Snowmap.png

I personally don't recall a storm with a bigger gradient across Wake Co. Jan 1940 probably comes the closest in my mind prior to Dec 2018, but it didn't seem to have much of one across southern Wake. Big gradient between downtown Raleigh & near the airport. The northern edge of the sleet in this storm made it to about RDU/Morrisvile - Falls Lake - Louisburg. South of that, across south-central Wake to the coastal Plain, this storm was apparently primarily sleet (makes sense w/ how strong the coastal low was in reanalysis).

This is definitely another map that could use a facelift (honestly most of them could).

View attachment 125468
re: 2018 storm. Wake county? Heck, how about Cary by itself. I was in the 4"accumation zone and could hop in my car for <10mins and see 8" of snow on the ground.

View attachment 125465
Also the French broad River valley sticks out like a sore thumb from Madison county down into Greater Asheville. When I was in school for 4 years at UNCA that was brutal several times. Warm air flooding down the valley.

Back