• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Meh let’s see how the EPS is
09947e28d2496f20abeacd3e0afab9d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the timeframe for NE Georgia and Upstate SC to start focusing in on having a chance at some winter weather? Asking those of you who really understand what’s going on. Will it be end of December or more likely January?

Looks like 2-4 C below normal across the SE. It's better than warm. I don't see anything at H5 to make me think it's going to drive the really cold air farther south.

The Euro op took a step back. The top of ridge out west rolled over, which, as expected, drives the trough axis back west. It is becoming clear that we're going to be fighting this for a long time. Sigh.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_nhem_65.png

Looks like 2-4 C below normal across the SE. It's better than warm. I don't see anything at H5 to make me think it's going to drive the really cold air farther south.

The Euro op took a step back. The top of ridge out west rolled over, which, as expected, drives the trough axis back west. It is becoming clear that we're going to be fighting this for a long time. Sigh.

View attachment 125439
I do not see a step back at all tbh we don’t want that really cold air diving south or we’re going to get cold and dry. This is a perfect set up to have the cold air close enough to get winter weather but far enough away to get a decent storm track.

View attachment 125439
That’s a steep ridge extending into and well north of AK. If we can shift that thing east a bit and keep it extended we could drive some vodka cold into the eastern half of NA.

I do not see a step back at all tbh we don’t want that really cold air diving south or we’re going to get cold and dry. This is a perfect set up to have the cold air close enough to get winter weather but far enough away to get a decent storm track.
In the short term, I agree with you. In the D10 time frame, I don't want to already be just on the edge of the cold air.

View attachment 125439
There is no way anything is clear right now if you actually look at the evolution. The precise track of the first system and potential interaction with the tpv piece diving south is going to make a world of difference for where we sit. The ICON and UKMET would be very favorable but we will just have to see how it all unfolds.

Edit: I’m in no way saying you won’t be correct, I just don’t see where it’s clear or even tilting one way or the other yet. It certainly could, but I hope it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Back