• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so confused. Thousands are dying overseas but I just watched an American lady who has the virus being interviewed and she says she only has a mild caugh and slight temperature. Compares the virus to a mild cold..

Did she seem younger than say 60? That seems to be the idea that for a large majority of people it will be mild. The age breakdown bar chart of the deaths posted in this thread was helpful seeing how it’s mostly the older population. The lack of mortality data in the pediatric population and young adults hints that this virus is mild in healthy individuals.

Another compounding idea in these other countries, older people tend to live with their families and disease spreads easier and faster to them (they come in contact with their adult sons and daughters, grandchildren on a daily basis)...the US might be better off sadly because we tend to isolate the old, either together or alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did she seem younger than say 60? That seems to be the idea that for a large majority of people it will be mild. The age breakdown bar chart of the deaths posted in this thread was helpful seeing how it’s mostly the older population. The lack of mortality data in the pediatric population and young adults hints that this virus is mild in healthy individuals.

Another compounding idea in these other countries, older people tend to live with their families and disease spreads easier and faster to them (they come in contact with their adult sons and daughters, grandchildren on a daily basis)...the US might be better off sadly because we tend to isolate the old, either together or alone.

This is a great point, fortunately or unfortunately I guess, the cultures of other countries can compound this situation for them. Not to mention in many countries general hygiene is nowhere near what we practice here (not all countries of course), but the open markets, live animals, thousands upon thousands touching items that others will buy/eat without washing. Even religious rituals, can't remember who it was but several pages back I saw a post where individuals were licking the gate, part of their ritual. So many factors to consider, it's just not an apple to apple comparison imo.

CDC officials have added new procedures for hospitals dealing with wuhflu.
Ppl arriving at local hospitals are being sent home and to give praises atleast they dont have the regular flu

If you find yourself without a job as of late
Good news FEMA is hiring!

Former FEMA employee. You don’t want to work there. Trust me.

I bought a 50lb bag of Ol’ Roy on Saturday..Lucile is going to be just fine

It’s a bit oncerning we have cases in Atlanta now..it’s everywhere. I’m not concerned for myself but the ramifications years down the road are a bit worrisome. Two flu’ish viruses going around every year wiping out a percentage of the population. It’s hell getting old.

I’ll make a run to the package store tomorrow. Maybe I can sit at home for a few weeks and damage my liver while I’m hiding from the Kung Flu.

I have a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year sitting in my closet. Been there since 2008 wrapped up in the bag and wooden box it came in. Never opened. Hmmm...

Current futures are pretty close to even (slight drop), which I’m pleased with considering we’ve just had a 2,000 point comeback from the Fri lows. Those lows have a good chance to end up being THE low of the big drop since we’re so far above them now, but that’s not set in stone. Anyway, I’m elated, even if a good portion of this was due to the expectation of an interest rate cut. I still think a good portion is also because the disease is progressing about as expected and is not really that out of hand to this point.

Edit/PS: I’m now also wondering if Biden’s great SC primary vs expectations as well as other states’ polling (including TX, NY, and MI) looking much improved for Biden over Sanders is helping the markets as the last person the markets want as the next POTUS is Sanders.

Last edited:
I'm not a market expert by any stretch, but my guess is there will be at least one more pull back before things level off for the time being. Any additional virus news/disruptions to the global economy could send the market sharply lower.

The case in Georgia is from a resident that traveled to Italy. It’s not person to person. They have been placed in house arrest pretty much probably for the next 1-2 weeks. Also the are not severe so that’s good. I haven’t seen a report of the ages yet.

I'm not a market expert by any stretch, but my guess is there will be at least one more pull back before things level off for the time being. Any additional virus news/disruptions to the global economy could send the market sharply lower.
From what I can tell, if the Fed takes no action soon it'll tank. That's what the markets were rallying on.

The case in Georgia is from a resident that traveled to Italy. It’s not person to person. They have been placed in house arrest pretty much probably for the next 1-2 weeks. Also the are not severe so that’s good. I haven’t seen a report of the ages yet.

but what about the airplane. he left the plague behind him on the airplane.
selfish people man. its like "oh, im in italy, everyone is getting sick. let me just mosey on BACK HOME with the virus to a LARGE airport in Atlanta. It'll be fine!"

The Iranian government's aversion to truth isn't surprising (lest we forget the Ukraine airliner shoot-down), but now it could be putting millions needlessly at risk: "Michael Rubin, a Middle East scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, said Iran could become a major conduit for spreading the virus to its neighbors. "

I’ve heard rumors that there is someone in Greenville, NC being treated at Vidant with the Coronavirus. Not sure if true or if it’ll be announced but concerning if so since I commute and work there daily.
Hope its not WeatherNC since he just got back from washington state

FYI...WHO thinks China numbers are real, I tend to agree. It’s good news and evidence quarantine works. Likely a lot of western countries don’t follow suit however.

So the Fed took action but the DOW is now down 500.
Hard for CBs to print vaccines and restore supply chains. Seems like a buy the rumor, sell the news event. But we still have several hours of trading left. We'll see how we end up. I'm not so sure we don't come roaring back this afternoon on some other piece of news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back