• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that a few days ago when I bought my freeze dried food supplies there was plenty of it on Amazon and other websites still available. Now on Amazon most of the large cans of it are sold out with 1-2 month wait times for new stock to come on. Same thing on many other websites that sell these cans they are either completely sold out or on backorder. Thankfully I have 2 weeks of freeze dried food for me and my family "just in case" people panic and raid the grocery stores. Even if not it's great emergency food in the event of a power outage, hurricane, ice storm, etc. and keeps for 25-30 years as long as it's unopened.

Not only treatment but a preventative in general during cold season.

My go to is Airborne and 1000mg of elderberry (not joking and no I don’t believe in essential oils, but elderberry actually has support from clinical trials — people always give me a funny look when I recommend this)...I usually take it if I feel like I’m coming down with a cold and it either nips it in the bud or shortens the duration. If we start to have confirmed cases in NC it will be daily until this virus is controlled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see someone telling your kid, “Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.”

It's interesting that a few days ago when I bought my freeze dried food supplies there was plenty of it on Amazon and other websites still available. Now on Amazon most of the large cans of it are sold out with 1-2 month wait times for new stock to come on. Same thing on many other websites that sell these cans they are either completely sold out or on backorder. Thankfully I have 2 weeks of freeze dried food for me and my family "just in case" people panic and raid the grocery stores. Even if not it's great emergency food in the event of a power outage, hurricane, ice storm, etc. and keeps for 25-30 years as long as it's unopened.

Most suppliers and retailers operate on a "Just-In-Time" (JIT) inventory management system. When the supply chain breaks down, inventories can quickly dwindle.

Now stock futures are looking strong again as London is now up decently for the day. I think today will end up strong. The bad news is already known. Buy the bad news as they say. Also, it appears China is starting to recover and open things back up.

Most suppliers and retailers operate on a "Just-In-Time" (JIT) inventory management system. When the supply chain breaks down, inventories can quickly dwindle.

Yeah I think that is part of it and also the panic buying going on for shelf stable foods. The company that makes the freeze dried food I buy does it all in the USA I believe but they've had such high volume they've had to shut down orders on their website and they're telling retailers it'll be 1-2 months before they can fill the backorders they have.

Yeah I think that is part of it and also the panic buying going on for shelf stable foods. The company that makes the freeze dried food I buy does it all in the USA I believe but they've had such high volume they've had to shut down orders on their website and they're telling retailers it'll be 1-2 months before they can fill the backorders they have.

Even if a manufacturer is based in the US it's likely that at least some of their material needs (not to mention those of their sub-suppliers) such as plastic packaging, ingredients, additives, etc are imported from abroad.

Even if a manufacturer is based in the US it's likely that at least some of their material needs (not to mention those of their sub-suppliers) such as plastic packaging, ingredients, additives, etc are imported from abroad.

Yeah it's very possible they get some of their packaging from abroad but it seems to be more due to the increased demand they simply can't keep up with it right now. If they've having a hard time getting packaging materials I'm sure that is slowing the process down too. With some parts of China resuming production it'll be interesting to see how quickly they ramp things back up full scale and how the supply chain is affected.

I think if nothing else this incident has shown us that we need to seriously diversify where we get our various supply chain items from. In the event we ever faced an intense conflict with China or they cut off supplies to us for some reason, the US and various other economies would be in a MESS as it would take a significant amount of time to find/build a sufficient number of manufacturing facilities to take on the global demand.

I think if nothing else this incident has shown us that we need to seriously diversify where we get our various supply chain items from. In the event we ever faced an intense conflict with China or they cut off supplies to us for some reason, the US and various other economies would be in a MESS as it would take a significant amount of time to find/build a sufficient number of manufacturing facilities to take on the global demand.

There's a great passage from the book 'World War Z' that describes the challenges of international logistics for something as simple as a bottle of root beer:

wwz root beer.png

@Jon What elderberry do you recommend? Seriously asking.
You can make your own - Hit up a health food store and buy dried elderberries and then soak in pure vodka for like 6 weeks. Strain and store in a dark bottle. I'm not in to the essential oils and stuff, but this actually helps and works. It stays good for a couple years unlike syrups which have a couple month shelf life. I add a few drops to hot drinks in the winter for the whole family and add even more when we're sick.

What? I don't know what to think..... ?‍♂️

(I have no idea why enter sometimes posts for me on message boards) I'd file this in the same category as a few other things. I wouldn't do March Madness with nobody in the audience, but what I would do is issue an advisory, saying that if you're older or have respiratory issues, that I would likely recommend skipping out on March Madness this year due to the virus.

That probably would filter out a lot of people, but not everyone.

Last edited:
This may be why the CDC isn’t testing as much. Trying to keep people from panicking and flooding the ER with mild cases, getting doctors infected and keeping spaces open for people who actually need treatment.

I think at this point it's pretty much impossible to keep this stuff from spreading. It's all over the world now and the attempt by China to contain it with extreme measures even did not work. At this point I imagine it's so widespread that the only thing the CDC can really do is let it run it's course and try to treat those who are in serious condition and limit the spread of it where possible.

Kinda interesting to see what happens
You have
Trump saying it's nothing vs media and world governments.
Tons of money has been poured into this lockdowns total economy shutdown in places. If hoax what's the end game?

Kinda interesting to see what happens
You have
Trump saying it's nothing vs media and world governments.
Tons of money has been poured into this lockdowns total economy shutdown in places. If hoax what's the end game?
Oh my gosh hes Not saying it’s nothing!! Do u watch the press conferences as of recent ... he even states that it could become a bigger deal but that we must rejoice in the fact that it’s not super widespread like it is in other countries at the moment ... so there’s a possibility we can really control and contain the few cases that pop up here and there across the country .. him and CDC officials and health officials during the presser all say the same thing .. and so far he’s been right and health officials have been right .. yes it’s spreading because that’s what viruses do but also yes they are minor cases that are quarantined and heavily tracked down to create less cases and contain the situation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back