• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protests aren’t it folks.

Look at the science. There have been numerous examples to illustrate what it takes for this virus to spread, but politics get in the way and people on the right want someone to blame. It can’t be that they aren’t wearing masks because their president doesn’t! It can’t be that they think wearing a mask is weak and embarrassing! It can’t be that they think it’s a hoax and bill gates is in on it! It can’t be that they think if you wear a mask you’re a dumb lib!

Protests are outdoors and there’s usually plenty of mask wearing and moving/walking. I’m not saying it’s innocent and cases aren’t transmitted during protests but hear me out.

Scientists have stated that Coronavirus needs close contact with the infected individual for extended_periods_of_time...which means you’re likely to see it spread in intimate settings where people are stagnant and indoors....through households, churches (sitting beside people for an hour) and workplaces that don’t social distance.

I got it from my coworker, who stands beside me and we share phones all day in a 200sqft space.

There have been numerous examples...people at a round table, and only the person to get it was the person to the left and the right of said infected person.

It’s these close, intimate contacts without wearing masks that causes spread. This is why bars are the last thing to open in many major cities, close contact not to mention while intoxicated people tend to get closer and talk loud (increases droplet transmission)
We havent missed a day of work yet. Be in the same warehouse offices sharing same bathrooms, break area, commuting in from 4 counties. Nada
Whats science behind that?

So we see lots of asymptomatic cases reported. A resident at my wifes work went to the ER over the weekend for unrelated issues and tested positive. Being a memory care unit with lots of elderly patients the facility has been prepared for this. Strict entry protocols, limited staff for contact tracing and so on. Since the woman was asymptomatic they tested EVERYONE who had been in and out of that unit for 2 weeks prior.........no other positives. No other asymptomatic cases. No known carrier to give it to this patient.

@Jon whats the chances we are seeing some false positives. Their last case they were able to track and find the spreader but not this time.

So we see lots of asymptomatic cases reported. A resident at my wifes work went to the ER over the weekend for unrelated issues and tested positive. Being a memory care unit with lots of elderly patients the facility has been prepared for this. Strict entry protocols, limited staff for contact tracing and so on. Since the woman was asymptomatic they tested EVERYONE who had been in and out of that unit for 2 weeks prior.........no other positives. No other asymptomatic cases. No known carrier to give it to this patient.

@Jon whats the chances we are seeing some false positives. Their last case they were able to track and find the spreader but not this time.

False negatives are way more common. I’d have to find the exact sensitivity of the PCR test that was used on her and what the lab is analytically reporting so it would be hard to be exact, but it’s likely a true positive because of the test design...really the only thing to say otherwise would be contamination. I’d definitely treat her as a true positive. She can always get antibody tests when they get better and verify her infection with IgG’s

False negatives are way more common. I’d have to find the exact sensitivity of the PCR test that was used on her and what the lab is analytically reporting so it would be hard to be exact, but it’s likely a true positive because of the test design...really the only thing to say otherwise would be contamination. I’d definitely treat her as a true positive. She can always get antibody tests when they get better and verify her infection with IgG’s

Then I would think the fear switches to someone being in the facility that was tested but a false negative? This place has been VERY strict and keep tabs on employee movements to trace any cases. Being everyone else tested negative I'd be worried someone was still spreading it but negative.

Reactions: Jon
No more lockdowns. You can’t isolate people forever. We locked down once and obviously it was all in vain. No more lockdowns. Waste of time and money.

What we did was hardly a lockdown. We left so many things open. My cousin positing pictures from the French quarter in NOLA without a single car or person walking. China with empty streets in a town of 11 million people. Those were lockdowns. What we did wasnt that.

Many folks seem to conveniently forget the point of lock down was to give healthcare time to prepare for increased cases and not become overwhelmed. We did that and, at least in North Carolina, we really never experienced a big wave of infections until, maybe, now... three months after we paused to give health care time to prepare. That was the plan. Thinking the number of cases weren't going to increase once we opened back up is asinine (did any reasonable person here actually expect the number of confirmed cases NOT to increase??)

I've been watching the percentage of available hospital beds and ICU beds via the NC DHHS dashboard for two months now. Despite increasing cases and hospitalizations, the percentage of available beds has stayed just around 20% (currently 19% for inpatient beds and 23% for ICU). Regardless of what the news headlines lead/scare you to believe, healthcare providers aren't "overwhelmed" based on data reported to the state. Deaths are also down SIGNIFICANTLY over the past two months.

Calm down. Be Safe. Wear a mask when you can't socially distance. Everything will be fine.

It seemed to work for NY as did mask requirements.

So, eyewall, do you think we should go back into lockdown? Should we remain in lock down until a vaccine is available?

NYC has been locked down for the better part of three months and the number of cases has decreased significantly (as you would certainly expect). As NYC finally begins to "re-open", are you of the belief the number of cases there won't increase over time?

So, eyewall, do you think we should go back into lockdown? Should we remain in lock down until a vaccine is available?

NYC has been locked down for the better part of three months and the number of cases has decreased significantly (as you would certainly expect). As NYC finally begins to "re-open", are you of the belief the number of cases there won't increase over time?
I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but there’s a 100% chance cases go up significantly as things open back up. There’s no way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back