• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but there’s a 100% chance cases go up significantly as things open back up. There’s no way around it.

Absolutely agree. Just trying to point out the hypocrisy of those claiming NYC has "won" by locking everything down for three months. They've delayed additional spread of the virus. Not stopped it. Just like all the states that re-opened in late April, it will take a month or two, but the number of cases there will go back up.

So, eyewall, do you think we should go back into lockdown? Should we remain in lock down until a vaccine is available?

NYC has been locked down for the better part of three months and the number of cases has decreased significantly (as you would certainly expect). As NYC finally begins to "re-open", are you of the belief the number of cases there won't increase over time?

I'm not him but honestly, it already was very ugly in the city. They may well actually have 43% herd immunity which is what experts think is enough. The hay was already out of the barn there.

Better place to point at is California...praised for locking down very early but has loosened and has seemingly started to get crushed with cases even though they're still stricter than others (and for some reason, it's not talked about enough). They may end up being your 2nd Italy example in the US (the first being NYC) and if they go that way, it honestly shows that flatten the curve can mean postpone the inevitable instead. At least in our culture with the stubbornness we see (the masks may not be a political deal with some lol).

Is locking down until there is a vaccine a good idea given that the quickest vaccine until maybe soon was 4 years? I don't think so. If you were to have to live like recently for a year plus, a lot would never be the same ever again.

That means we should've been doing what Rain Cold suggested and it would've helped if China didn't try covering up first...whoops.

Last edited:
So, eyewall, do you think we should go back into lockdown? Should we remain in lock down until a vaccine is available?

NYC has been locked down for the better part of three months and the number of cases has decreased significantly (as you would certainly expect). As NYC finally begins to "re-open", are you of the belief the number of cases there won't increase over time?

Honestly from the beginning it should have been a nationally coordinated response (instead of being left to the states) with at least 6 months of UBI provided during lockdown to offset those out of work. Masks should have been required early on, but I realize people in the US are too selfish to endure any kind of minor inconvenience that might help their neighbors. People in NY have set aside the personal freedom crap and wear masks so we might not see a resurgence there.

Honestly from the beginning it should have been a nationally coordinated response (instead of being left to the states) with at least 6 months of UBI provided during lockdown to offset those out of work. Masks should have been required early on, but I realize people in the US are too selfish to endure any kind of minor inconvenience that might help their neighbors. People in NY have set aside the personal freedom crap and wear masks so we might not see a resurgence there.

It simply isn’t feasible to lock everything down, as soon as you open things up the virus is still there you can’t eliminate it by locking everything down. UBI for 6+ months plus supporting all the businesses closed down isn’t feasible, we already have over $26 TRILLION in debt which is over 100% of our GDP. We can’t keep printing money to deal with something that isn’t going away.

It’s time we face this as a nation and focus on ways to continue life while reducing the risk as much as possible by encouraging people to follow the safety protocols.

You didn't answer my question... do you feel we should we go back into "lock down" and stay there until vaccine? Is that the way you see we get through this?

You didn't answer my question... do you feel we should we go back into "lock down" and stay there until vaccine? Is that the way you see we get through this?
Not necessarily until a vaccine but certainly longer than we did with required masks until there is a vaccine.

Not necessarily until a vaccine but certainly longer than we did with required masks until there is a vaccine.

I don't disagree on masks in public when social distancing can't be assured. It's crazy to me how many folks are adamantly against this fairly innocuous measure to help prevent further spread.

However, I disagree wholeheartedly on lock downs. All they do is delay, not prevent, the spread of virus. Unless you're willing to lock down until vaccine is available it's an exercise in futility. Don't understand why so many folks don't "get" that? Initial lock down was put in place to buy time and get healthcare system prepared... that's been done. There's no justification for going back to lock down, I'm sorry.

I don't disagree on masks in public when social distancing can't be assured. It's crazy to me how many folks are adamantly against this fairly innocuous measure to help prevent further spread.

However, I disagree wholeheartedly on lock downs. All they do is delay, not prevent, the spread of virus. Unless you're willing to lock down until vaccine is available it's an exercise in futility. Don't understand why so many folks don't "get" that? Initial lock down was put in place to buy time and get healthcare system prepared... that's been done. There's no justification for going back to lock down, I'm sorry.
Yep, you absolutely can't lock down and shut down the economy again. There is just no way around that fact. NYC is almost certain to see another surge in cases. This is a highly contagious virus. We ought to wear masks in public and follow good personal hygiene protocols. Open up and divert as much money and as many resources into the healthcare system as necessary to test, trace, treat, and protect the at-risk population. There's not really any other realistic alternative.

I'm not him but honestly, it already was very ugly in the city. They may well actually have 43% herd immunity which is what experts think is enough. The hay was already out of the barn there.

Better place to point at is California...praised for locking down very early but has loosened and has seemingly started to get crushed with cases even though they're still stricter than others (and for some reason, it's not talked about enough). They may end up being your 2nd Italy example in the US (the first being NYC) and if they go that way, it honestly shows that flatten the curve can mean postpone the inevitable instead. At least in our culture with the stubbornness we see (the masks may not be a political deal with some lol).

Is locking down until there is a vaccine a good idea given that the quickest vaccine until maybe soon was 4 years? I don't think so. If you were to have to live like recently for a year plus, a lot would never be the same ever again.

That means we should've been doing what Rain Cold suggested and it would've helped if China didn't try covering up first...whoops.
43% is not herd immunity.

Honestly, IF any shutdowns are done going forward they should be heavily localized. For example in Texas, target the specific big cities where the spike is occurring and let the smaller cities and rural areas stay open. I’m not in favor of shutdowns but if they are necessary to prevent hospitals from being overrun then that is how I’d do it.

Our local schools will open on time BUT:
1. Ten kids per bus ( good luck with this) I think bus drivers will want a raise or boycott)
2. No water fountains.
3. Eat lunch in classrooms
4. Student stay in 1 room all day ( good luck)
5. Bathroom breaks assigned by time and all students have to go like elementary school.
7. Wear a mask only on the hallway. Temps will be taken open entry.
8. No milestone testing
My wife is very happy today.

Last edited:
This stat is crazy. Black Alabamians now make up a greater percentage of the cases in AL. Hospitalizations has also for sure dropped for the first week in a good while.

Attachments

• 8BB86C9D-52BF-43CE-9C9A-D0671A6DA747.jpeg
    8BB86C9D-52BF-43CE-9C9A-D0671A6DA747.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back