• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support the BLM movement but yes protests likely factored into the numbers in some cases. However that is mixed as numbers have continued to fall in some states where they have occurred. in FL, I don't think the protests are a significant contributor.

I don't think my household living normally for now close to two months has caused anything. We don't typically go to big gatherings but as soon as our things opened, we started going back to doing them. And only wore masks in required cases even with the lockdown.

I guess the timing in Georgia is just coincidental as well because the first 1000+ case day timed up more to when your Atlanta protests started than Memorial Day unless you think you need a month and not two weeks.

Yes it’s just coincidence. Look outside GA for a second, there’s a whole country out there. I also said protests aren’t innocent, but it’s not the ignition to these increased cases. It’s obvious it’s reopening.

I wonder what the demographics are of the newly reported 5,500 daily cases in Florida are? Do you think those could be due to protests too?

Your household living normally and refusing to wear masks CAN cause asymptomatic spread. You just said you went back to things as soon as things opened, so that’s the timeline we’re looking at here. Remember, the masks protects others and unless it’s an N95 mask, you’re not being protected that well yourself by wearing one... so it leads to selfish political decisions. Why not just wear a mask?

There were dozens of football players tested positive and asymptomatic, how did they get it? I bet if you asked them they would say they didn’t think they were transmitting it to anyone, because they didn’t know they had it so why would they?

FL is a sh*thole state? Moderators, should this post be allowed to stay?

yeah, uh, this is going to be off topic, but my Florida thoughts go immediately to the fun I've had in Wakulla Springs/St. Augustine, etc... The only problems that I've had with Florida have been with holiday traffic. It would not hurt me at all to see the trip to Bradenton at Thanksgiving go away even if it's due to people being ill.

On topic, today's a day where it's feeling like I should get ready to prepare to play Mario Kart Wii again with the way folks are acting on the internet. I've been able to cope, but I'm about at the rope, and if sports I like are taken away for the rest of the year, I'll have to turn to something I thought I wouldn't have when I stopped playing on game consoles back in 2014.

I support the BLM movement but yes protests likely factored into the numbers in some cases. However that is mixed as numbers have continued to fall in some states where they have occurred. in FL, I don't think the protests are a significant contributor.

I agree with this. Obviously attending a protest increases your risk a bit, and some people will have contracted the virus that way. But from what we know of the virus now, it's unlikely to be a significant factor in community spread.

Georgia has been open for months and only saw a spike after the protest...

They’ve increased testing since then as well so you can’t just look at daily cases you have to look at percent positives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on today’s data, this will be AL’s first week to see a drop in Covid hospitalizations in a long while. Just have to see if next week follows.

I agree with this. Obviously attending a protest increases your risk a bit, and some people will have contracted the virus that way. But from what we know of the virus now, it's unlikely to be a significant factor in community spread.
Inside of 6 feet for more than 5 minutes.

As reported in the Political thread, the Trump administration is ending all support for coronavirus testing sites.

Has any of you watched the whole video? Just shifting the testing responsibility over to local and private sectors.

Protests aren’t it folks.

Look at the science. There have been numerous examples to illustrate what it takes for this virus to spread, but politics get in the way and people on the right want someone to blame. It can’t be that they aren’t wearing masks because their president doesn’t! It can’t be that they think wearing a mask is weak and embarrassing! It can’t be that they think it’s a hoax and bill gates is in on it! It can’t be that they think if you wear a mask you’re a dumb lib!

Protests are outdoors and there’s usually plenty of mask wearing and moving/walking. I’m not saying it’s innocent and cases aren’t transmitted during protests but hear me out.

Scientists have stated that Coronavirus needs close contact with the infected individual for extended_periods_of_time...which means you’re likely to see it spread in intimate settings where people are stagnant and indoors....through households, churches (sitting beside people for an hour) and workplaces that don’t social distance.

I got it from my coworker, who stands beside me and we share phones all day in a 200sqft space.

There have been numerous examples...people at a round table, and only the person to get it was the person to the left and the right of said infected person.

It’s these close, intimate contacts without wearing masks that causes spread. This is why bars are the last thing to open in many major cities, close contact not to mention while intoxicated people tend to get closer and talk loud (increases droplet transmission)

You mean like this?
1593018378089.png

I like how protesting outside is OK now...

You mean like this?
View attachment 43282

I like how protesting outside is OK now...

Yeah, like it or not, but right now the right is just rolling their eyes at protests being seen as okay, but turn around and chastise campaign rallies. I'm actually not going to be voting for Trump, but it's going to be viewed as a moving narrative (surprise! I'd call myself and my mom left of center, my dad may be more left but he's not hard left, or at least he might have used to be but some radicals might be moving even farther than what he agrees with these days...but either way, the reason we rarely wear a mask is not political, it's pure stubbornness and I suppose foolishness as well).

(I even got my mom to agree but she's strayed more to the middle on this, even though she's more concerned. Any kind of large gathering where you purposely go, whether it be a rally or a protest, is a bad idea right now. But the worribots online would also chastise going to the beach even if you're trying to stay away from people outside your party, getting your hair cut even if you wear a mask, going to the gym even if you stay away from others, heading to nature areas etc...suppose the only right thing to do is get ready to hole up again even sooner than anticipated and be ready to stay holed up for several months)

Sorry if this is too political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back