• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish Flu of 1918 perhaps? 675,000 Americans killed and 20 - 50 million worldwide.

But why has he already concluded that it is the worst since then? Even if it is, hopefully it wouldn’t be nearly as bad.

Dont forget about the some odd 7k under home quarantine in cali. Wonder if they all really do stay home,

Coronavirus so far has surpassed SARS, MERS, it’s similar to H1N1, but the virus so far appears more severe, altho H1N1 was known for significantly affecting younger people, and infected many amounts of people around the world, this looks like H1N1 in its early stages but coronavirus appears more severe, and tends to effect the elderly more, and the place it originated from isn’t trustworthy, atm I would say this is the worse threat we’ve faced since 2009 H1N1 since they both spread via HTH transmission and through droplets of infected people’s sneezes/coughes that can drift in the air and viruses that survive on surfaces, Ebola is a bit different, you needed contact with bodily fluids (most often touching the person or touching there bodily fluids) but the tradeoff is that it’s much deadlier

I'm glad this thread was made because this has been bothering me for almost a month. It's hard to talk directly to people about this without being looked at like you're crazy or scaring them to death... Or both

Well when you're saying stuff like you're stocking up on ammo and such, yeah, people are going to think you're crazy.

Damn today Barcelona, Switzerland, now France
I hate to say it but it's already here. It has to be spreading at all major airports and high density population areas. The question is at what point does it show itself to the public? It may be no worse than a bad flu season and nobody even noticed it. It could also be like 1918 or worse, how would that impact society?

I hate to say it but it's already here. It has to be spreading at all major airports and high density population areas. The question is at what point does it show itself to the public? It may be no worse than a bad flu season and nobody even noticed it. It could also be like 1918 or worse, how would that impact society?
Reason number 1001 why I love living in the country

I honestly think this is still to be determined, initial thoughts of ebola was along the same lines.... again the misinformation from other governments contributes to this. It may very well be that bad but time will tell.

As far as Trump goes I'd take the same approach honestly, no need to promote panic and the fact they are asking for 2.5 billion dollars of funding should indicate it is being taken seriously.
Supply chains are already getting disrupted. Major companies are scrapping guidance for the rest of the year. Much more of that is coming. Combine the economic impacts that are already happening with more on the way, along with the extremely infectious nature of this virus, along with the fact that it is already as widespread as it is, along with the fact that it is likely spreading along in places that aren't reporting or detecting it yet, and I'm comfortable saying this is unlike anything since the Spanish Flu. For Larry, I'm not comparing the outcome to the Spanish Flu point by point. But I am quite confident that the economic impacts of this are much more significant than any other disease we've seen in decades...even if the global numbers of infected/dead aren't that high comparatively.

This is already a pandemic. I expect it to get quite widespread. I hope that it doesn't. I hope it fizzles out tomorrow. But if you watch the trends, and if you listen to the slowly evolving messaging, you can see the progression from ignoring, to denial, to gradual acknowledgement (which is where we are now) happening in real-time. Just look at the CDCs latest comments. That should raise alarm bells.

We, as part of the weather community, really ought to have a good understanding of how this psychology works. If Trump has a TV cut-in tomorrow night and says PANIC, then that's what will happen. If he comes out and says, we have a serious situation developing globally, and while it's not established in the US now, we should start taking the following action and considering the following steps, you would have a much more controlled situation than you will when it shows up in New York City, then San Francisco, then Minneapolis, then Raleigh, etc. out of the blue.

If the stores run out tomorrow, they will be restocked the next day. If they run out in the middle of a surprise epidemic, who knows how soon the supply chains will replenish. This isn't a snowstorm. There is a distinct possibility of a rapidly spreading disease in the US. If you go out and stock your cupboard and buy a few extra items that you're going to use anyway, learn about good hygiene, learn how to interact with a community that is sick, then the worst that happens is that maybe you get a little annoyed. Maybe you have a few extra items that you'll eventually use anyway. Maybe you'll develop some good hygiene habits. Contrast that with the alternative of being completely caught off-guard and not having what you need.

It's time to stop pretending like it's someone else's problem and start acting like it's going to happen here. The sooner that happens from top to bottom, the better we'll be able to deal with whatever comes.

I would like to find out the ages of the people that have died from this virus, also if they have had chronic heath issues present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well when you're saying stuff like you're stocking up on ammo and such, yeah, people are going to think you're crazy.
I never said I was stocking up on anything. I'm doing what I have always planned on doing for years. I'm lucky enough to be fully sustainable on my little chunk of dirt. I'm not into processed foods or the sad excuse for meat and vegetables at the store. Don't worry though if the store is sold out, people like me will pick up the slack.

I would like to find out the ages of the people that have died from this virus, also if they have had chronic heath issues present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost all of the data suggests either/or or a combination of both older people and preexisting conditions. There have been some younger deaths as well. But the older you are and the unhealthier you are, the harder you are likely to get hit. That may change as more western countries with reliable reporting become affected. But for now, it looks like 70+ is the highest risk sector.

Almost all of the data suggests either/or or a combination of both older people and preexisting conditions. There have been some younger deaths as well. But the older you are and the unhealthier you are, the harder you are likely to get hit. That may change as more western countries with reliable reporting become affected. But for now, it looks like 70+ is the highest risk sector.

Yeah if I’m not mistaken most of the deaths outside China have been older people

Supply chains are already getting disrupted. Major companies are scrapping guidance for the rest of the year. Much more of that is coming. Combine the economic impacts that are already happening with more on the way, along with the extremely infectious nature of this virus, along with the fact that it is already as widespread as it is, along with the fact that it is likely spreading along in places that aren't reporting or detecting it yet, and I'm comfortable saying this is unlike anything since the Spanish Flu. For Larry, I'm not comparing the outcome to the Spanish Flu point by point. But I am quite confident that the economic impacts of this are much more significant than any other disease we've seen in decades...even if the global numbers of infected/dead aren't that high comparatively.

This is already a pandemic. I expect it to get quite widespread. I hope that it doesn't. I hope it fizzles out tomorrow. But if you watch the trends, and if you listen to the slowly evolving messaging, you can see the progression from ignoring, to denial, to gradual acknowledgement (which is where we are now) happening in real-time. Just look at the CDCs latest comments. That should raise alarm bells.

We, as part of the weather community, really ought to have a good understanding of how this psychology works. If Trump has a TV cut-in tomorrow night and says PANIC, then that's what will happen. If he comes out and says, we have a serious situation developing globally, and while it's not established in the US now, we should start taking the following action and considering the following steps, you would have a much more controlled situation than you will when it shows up in New York City, then San Francisco, then Minneapolis, then Raleigh, etc. out of the blue.

If the stores run out tomorrow, they will be restocked the next day. If they run out in the middle of a surprise epidemic, who knows how soon the supply chains will replenish. This isn't a snowstorm. There is a distinct possibility of a rapidly spreading disease in the US. If you go out and stock your cupboard and buy a few extra items that you're going to use anyway, the worst that happens is that you get a little annoyed. Contrast that with the alternative.

It's time to stop pretending like it's someone else's problem and start acting like it's going to happen here. The sooner that happens from top to bottom, the better we'll be able to deal with whatever comes.
Not sure who is pretending it's someone else's problem and stocking up on supplies in case of an emergency shouldn't be dependent upon a POTUS advising you to do so (that's part of the problem we have now, society too dependent on gov't to tell them how to live, react, prepare, etc but that's another topic). Anyway to the first part of your post, from an economic perspective, I certainly see your point but we also have to remember that information (good, bad, right or wrong) gets out instantly now. How much worse would the Spanish flu have been from an economic standpoint if information was available worldwide at the click of a button, instead the virus back then spread much faster then the information itself. The fear of what may or may not occur is what drives the economy these days. I don't know, I just don't get the "we're doing nothing and this administration is sitting on it's hands" argument. We're not a 3rd world country and I'm confident we have the medical know how to combat this issue plus as I mentioned, the request for 2.5 billion dollars indicates steps are being taken.

@Rain Cold also to this point
If Trump has a TV cut-in tomorrow night and says PANIC, then that's what will happen. If he comes out and says, we have a serious situation developing globally, and while it's not established in the US now, we should start taking the following action and considering the following steps, you would have a much more controlled situation than you will when it shows up in New York City, then San Francisco, then Minneapolis, then Raleigh, etc. out of the blue.

I think you are giving the general public too much credit, Lol... look at the panic that's already starting to show up. Even if the POTUS did a cut-in as you mentioned (the we have a serious situation one) panic would still go full throttle. And there would be those that condemned his actions, again either way no POTUS can win in this situation, not in today's political climate that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back