• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is why we need a nationwide stay at home order.
Is there any other virus that behaves this way? It’s weird for me to see so many people being completely asymptotic. I hope if I get the virus, I get to be one of those lucky ones...

I'm wondering if Cuomo just misspoke. That 20% number seems way off.
Yeah, because if it’s really just 20% and most people out on ventilators are going to die anyways, you have to wonder whether resources are better spent combatting the virus in other ways besides obtaining more ventilators.

Last edited:
Is there any other virus that behaves this way? It’s weird for me to see so many people being completely asymptotic. I hope if I get the virus, I get to be one of those lucky ones...
Here's a theory that I hope is wrong. A lot of us may catch this and be asymptomatic, which seems good. Less people die and CFR goes down, right?

But if that's the case, it means its spreading faster than we've realized. Asymptomatic people would be spreading it without knowing it. How would they? You don't get tested until you show symptoms.

So it's possible that more asymptomatic means lower CFR rate, but also more people infected, which means more potential people could die. Hopefully, that is way off, but I'm not sure if we can completely discount it until we have a better handle on exactly how many have this but are asymptomatic.

I want to know if they’ve are asymptomatic the entire time. Or eventually show symptoms .. anyone know?
The linked article said 25% to 50% may be asymptomatic without ever developing symptoms. That is a very wide range and suggests they really don't know yet.

April 1, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WILKESBORO AND NORTH WILKESBORO IMPLEMENT NEW PROHIBITIONS Allows only one family member to shop, prohibits renting rooms to out-of-town guests

[Wilkesboro, NC, April 1, 2020] – Effective immediately, the towns of Wilkesboro and North Wilkesboro will implement new prohibitions designed to fight the spread of coronavirus. These measures regulate behavior in public environments, particularly retail stores. The measures also prohibit hotels and other short-term lodging businesses from renting rooms to out-of-town and out-of-state guests.
The updated State of Emergency Declaration now requires that patrons practice prescribed behaviors while shopping in retail establishments. The required behaviors are: • Only one individual per family should enter a retail store to shop; • A child should not accompany a parent into a retail store if there is a person of suitable age available to supervise the child elsewhere; • Social distancing must be maintained at all times inside a retail store or parking lot; • Shoppers must follow signs and directions posted by stores to enable social distancing; • Shoppers must wait for preceding customers to check out before placing their items on the check-out counter or conveyor.
The two towns will also now prohibit hotels and other short-term lodging establishments from renting rooms to out-of-town or out-of-state guests. Guests currently staying, or guests with an established pattern of visitation and who are known to hotel staff are exempted.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope election officials are planning now on what to do if we have a 2nd wave of this in the fall around election time. If it’s a bad wave or similar to this one, having people across the country gathering to vote could be very risky/deadly. Not sure if they can come up with a better system, perhaps where people could vote electronically from home or something like that. Hopefully we don’t have a second wave or we have a better solution to deal with it if so.
We will have an Election.
We do not under any circumstances need to do mail in ballots. Show up and vote. Space, be patient and have hand santizing before an after. Dont touch your face in between. All will be well. Personally Im not fretting a second wave. As of right now Im in the camp this keeps chugging along, no summer break and by Fall by unintentional herd immunity we are past the pivot point of this crisis, before a vaccine can even come into play. Subject to change, but I need to see evidence of the seasonal summer heat mitigation theory we have discussed first. Hard to get on board seeing this continue in Florida,central America currently.

Here is why we need a nationwide stay at home order.

Fits with everything else, the Diamond Princess cruise ship was 35-60% asymptomatic, the SK church was 35-40%, Iceland is 50% and at last I heard of the 11 that were positive on the cruise ship off California, all were asymptomatic. Lastly a Italian professor said something like 9 out of 10 in that town were asymptomatic.

Reading other places, seeing people post who are positive who don’t even have a cough. The symptoms are so different.

Restrictions Are Slowing Coronavirus Infections, New Data Suggest

Donald G. McNeil Jr.

By Donald G. McNeil Jr

Harsh measures, including stay-at-home orders and restaurant closures, are contributing to rapid drops in the numbers of fevers — a signal symptom of most coronavirus infections — recorded in states across the country, according to intriguing new data produced by a medical technology firm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-restrictions-fevers.html

At least 248 million Americans in at least 29 states have been told to stay at home. It had seemed nearly impossible for public health officials to know how effective this measure and others have been in slowing the coronavirus.

But the new data offer evidence, in real time, that tight social-distancing restrictions may be working, potentially reducing hospital overcrowding and lowering death rates, experts said.

The company, Kinsa Health, which produces internet-connected thermometers, first created a national map of fever levels on March 22 and was able to spot the trend within a day. Since then, data from the health departments of New York State and Washington State have buttressed the finding, making it clear that social distancing is saving lives.

The trend has become so obvious that on Sunday, President Trump extended until the end of April his recommendation that Americans stay in lockdown. Mr. Trump had hoped to lift restrictions by Easter and send Americans back to work.

Kinsa’s thermometers upload the user’s temperature readings to a centralized database; the data enable the company to track fevers across the United States.

Kinsa has more than one million thermometers in circulation and has been getting up to 162,000 daily temperature readings since Covid-19 began spreading in the country.

The company normally uses that data to track the spread of influenza. Since 2018, when it had more than 500,000 thermometers distributed, its predictions have routinely been two to three weeks ahead of those of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which gathers flu data on patient symptoms from doctors’ offices and hospitals.

By Friday morning, fevers in every county in the country were on a downward trend
, depicted in four shades of blue on the map.

Fevers were dropping especially rapidly in the West, from Utah to California and from Washington down to Arizona; in many Western counties, the numbers of people reporting high fevers fell by almost 20 percent. The numbers were also declining rapidly in Maine.

As of Monday morning, more than three-quarters of the country was deep blue. A separate display of the collective national fever trend, which had spiked upward to a peak on March 17, had fallen so far that it was actually below the band showing historical flu fever trends — which meant that the lockdown has cut not only Covid-19 transmission but flu transmission, too.

“I’m very impressed by this,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a preventive medicine expert at Vanderbilt University. “It looks like a way to prove that social distancing works.”

"US Health Weather Map
Blues on the map below show DECREASING fevers........for all illnesses.

In most years, this would track closely with the flu, which causes most of the fevers. In 2020, it shows a combination of fevers from the flu, coronvirus and other illnesses. They have all been plunging lower during the 2nd half of March...............even while new cases or coronavirus go up.

This is because fevers are a LEADING indicator. People have a fever for a couple of days BEFORE they get medical attention. After they sought medical attention(before tests were widely available recently), then they could be tested. The test results sometimes took over a week to come back. So their fevers were first reported on the maps below, in many cases over a week before they showed up as a new coronavirus case.

Note the graph below that shows fevers plunging lower immediately after the draconian/extreme shutdown measures took place ............dropping BELOW the expected, dashed blue line around 2 weeks ago.

This is powerful evidence that the spread of ALL illnesses has plunged.............before the new cases. New case statistics for COVID-19 are a lagging indicator of the reality. In fact, because of early testing flaws, until recently, the lag was possibly over 2 weeks. This is why we have needed to catch up on the testing before we could get a better handle on the reality. There is still a significant but closing lag but there will always be a lag of X number of days because of the time between when a COVID-19 case first reports a fever below and when the CDC records them as a new COVID-19 case."

https://healthweather.us/?mode=Trends

Screenshot_2020-04-01%20US%20Health%20Weather%20Map%20by%20Kinsa(1).png

Screenshot_2020-04-01%20US%20Health%20Weather%20Map%20by%20Kinsa(2).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back