• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Monday 1987 saw the market lose 22.6 percent in one day. That’s a panic. We haven’t even hit the pace required to halt trading.
The big difference between now and then is the average person today has much more to lose from the market tanking. Without even getting into the different reasons for the drops, this economy is much more dependant on global economies. China was just a small fraction of the market and now it's the driving force and it's shut down.

I have not had time to catchup/read this thread for a few days, but I've heard some things and need to state the following:

Personal attacks are not allowed.
Threats are not allowed.

Wishing death on anyone or anything is not allowed.

Memes... Can we add memes to this list? Seriously. I'm trying to read to learn. Not read peoples memes trying to get jabs and political points on the "other side" whatever side.

Idk the statement he measures his level of success almost solely against the outcome of the stock market and his visibly worried/paranoid about re-election seems more opinionated than fact but I digress. And I'll agree probably not smart to claim the coronavirus is just another flu virus, considering over 13 million flu cases, over 120K flu hospitalizations and over 6600 flu related deaths just this flu season, yeah the flu seems much closer to a pandemic then covid-19.

I watched his news conference the other night and sure some will say his remarks were "out of touch" or "contradictory", etc... but to me, they were very honest. When asked about the CDC claims that it was not a question of if but when and if he supported that, he response was basically, I don't think that is inevitable (which I agreed, nobody knows the future for sure) and he then stated it may not be that bad or it could be that bad, hey basically we don't know, but we're prepared. I'd love to know what exactly he or anyone else could've done to prevent this.... many tend to forget or ignore the fact that he almost immediately put travel restrictions into place to/from the most highly infected areas. That alone, no doubt, at least slowed the spread of the virus to our country. Also nobody likes to mention this but we still have an issue with undetected illegals or all nationalities that cross our borders every single day, who knows who they have come into contact with and where, so no way of knowing what they may or may not have transmitted here.

Personally I think it's too early for anyone to claim what this virus may look like by the time April rolls around, the POTUS, me, you or anyone...

Please make this the last right vs left post in here guys. (this was obviously being written before my previous post)

The political thread is here:

Panic mode is official once we break the 18% tumble for a week. Aren’t close to that yet.

Yeah we need to fall to about 23,300 for that to be official, basically need to lose another 1,500 points.

Idk the statement he measures his level of success almost solely against the outcome of the stock market and his visibly worried/paranoid about re-election seems more opinionated than fact but I digress. And I'll agree probably not smart to claim the coronavirus is just another flu virus, considering over 13 million flu cases, over 120K flu hospitalizations and over 6600 flu related deaths just this flu season, yeah the flu seems much closer to a pandemic then covid-19.

I watched his news conference the other night and sure some will say his remarks were "out of touch" or "contradictory", etc... but to me, they were very honest. When asked about the CDC claims that it was not a question of if but when and if he supported that, he response was basically, I don't think that is inevitable (which I agreed, nobody knows the future for sure) and he then stated it may not be that bad or it could be that bad, hey basically we don't know, but we're prepared. I'd love to know what exactly he or anyone else could've done to prevent this.... many tend to forget or ignore the fact that he almost immediately put travel restrictions into place to/from the most highly infected areas. That alone, no doubt, at least slowed the spread of the virus to our country. Also nobody likes to mention this but we still have an issue with undetected illegals or all nationalities that cross our borders every single day, who knows who they have come into contact with and where, so no way of knowing what they may or may not have transmitted here.

Personally I think it's too early for anyone to claim what this virus may look like by the time April rolls around, the POTUS, me, you or anyone...

Trump is a business man at his core, he deeply cares about the stock market and took credit for when the stock markets were on the rise and his primary lynch pin for his re-election is on the basis of the economy for those that voted for him in 2016 (including myself) that was one of the primary reasons why he garnered so much support, that's really not debatable imo or that opinionated at all.

For individuals that contract CoV-19, the death rate is ~20x higher than the flu, and new cases continue to rapidly outpace those who "recover" from it and it hasn't been around anywhere near as long as the flu and the preventive measures in place to halt the CoV-19's spread are at best primitive so yea, you're right it's not the flu.

It's basically inevitable at this point according to every expert on the topic and there have already been cases of HTH in the CONUS, but if you would rather trust an inept president over experts at the CDC, some of which have spent their entire lives studying viruses like CoV-19, be my guest.

Trump proposed significant budget cuts to the CDC ~15%, reduce global health spending from $571M to $532, cut health security by $50M, some reports noted a cut by the administration of up to 80% last year to fight international epidemics, he also cut another $30M to the Complex Crises Fund, etc, etc.

Please make this the last right vs left post in here guys. (this was obviously being written before my previous post)

The political thread is here:
While we are on the thread topic should we create a stock market thread or keep that talk in here?

This isn't just some "normal" market correction, the cause of the dip in the stock markets is directly attributable to a virus that has the potential to become a global pandemic, the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time. So no, this isn't "normal" in any way shape or form. In this case, it definitely matters who's president because it's very obvious Trump has no absolutely no idea what he's doing and cares more about the stock market than human lives & he and his department are woefully unprepared.
What makes you say their woefully unprepared??? We’re the most prepared nation for an outbreak of this nature? Regardless of who is president they aren’t leading the helm in how to stop this .. there are professionals who do that and he relays information they give him. I don’t see the US numbers in Corona virus climbing rapidly at all and until that actually happens I would consider this fairly contained for us

The big difference between now and then is the average person today has much more to lose from the market tanking. Without even getting into the different reasons for the drops, this economy is much more dependant on global economies. China was just a small fraction of the market and now it's the driving force and it's shut down.
I get that, but the point I was making was about panic selling. We have not reached that level yet and if I were a betting man I’d wager that we don’t get there.

What makes you say their woefully unprepared??? We’re the most prepared nation for an outbreak of this nature? Regardless of who is president they aren’t leading the helm in how to stop this .. there are professionals who do that and he relays information they give him. I don’t see the US numbers in Corona virus climbing rapidly at all and until that actually happens I would consider this fairly contained for us

What makes them woefully unprepared? Glad you asked, trump dismissing the disease as "just another flu virus", claiming it will basically magically "disappear by April" (Feb 10 NH rally), contradicting advisors within his own administration (at a recent press conference), the appointment of Pence to lead the US coronavirus response, the same person who once said "smoking doesn't kill" & who failed to handle the HIV/AIDS crisis in Indiana (ouch), & oh yea, let's not forget the administration's aforementioned budget cuts to the CDC & other government health entities, etc.

Stocks have come back nearly 600 points from the low very quickly! Dead ? or actual good news? Anyone know? Also, crude has risen back over $1 very quickly.

The definition of pandemic vs epidemic is highly subjective but we're much closer to the former & this being a global pandemic rather than the latter considering that CoV-19 cases have been confirmed on every continent over the globe except Antarctica.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.46.59 AM.png

Stocks have come back nearly 600 points from the low very quickly! Dead ? or actual good news? Anyone know? Also, crude has risen back over $1 very quickly.

Probably some bargain hunting buying going on. Speaking of good news, hopefully this pans out:

With China beginning to reopen some factories and businesses now does that mean they think they have it under control? Or are they doing so out of necessity?

Trump measures his level of success almost solely against the outcome of the stock market, he's become visibly worried and paranoid about his re-election bid because of it. He immediately dismissed the coronavirus as just another flu virus in a recent press conference and said the death rates were similar even when presented w/ actual facts that they weren't (in fact orders of magnitude different). He also said in a rally on Feb 10th in Manchester, NH that : "Looks like by April, ya know in theory, it (the coronavirus) miraculously goes away". When in fact now it seems like the opposite is actually going to occur. ?‍♀️

He's completely inept and out of touch w/ reality & doing everything in his power to dismiss any concern whatsoever about CoV-19 when people should actually be legitimately concerned and at the very least prepared. The US & global stock markets are a reflection of this fear

Ok but common sense should tell you that taking little-no action against CoV-19 which the WHO has deemed to be a "very high" threat to the globe and the CDC says it's very likely to significantly impact the US and the head of the CDC produces statements like

It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen anymore but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen...”,

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare, in the expectation that this could be bad,

The continued denial from Trump and his administration that anything of note is happening, we have it "completely under control" (when it hasn't even reached the US yet in earnest) and everything will be okay is a really horrible look for the president. I also voted for Trump in 2016 soooo....
He measures his success not only on the stock market but on all the things he said he was going to do that he has done(tax cuts/ regulation cuts/ millions of jobs added/ great economy ect.) yes he’s a bit unhinged at times but he’s not the worst president we’ve had that’s for sure. To when he compared to the flu virus while although this virus is a bit different a “Corona virus” is simply apart of the same family of viruses that causes common colds and the flu and is the same type of virus that SARS was all about (look how that ended up turning out).
Trump is not dismissing concern .. he literally said that there is potential it gets bad but that is why we are preparing for ALL scenarios. His job is to make sure we are safe and causing mass panic is surly not going to help. Him and even the experts have been talking about precautions as in washing your hands staying home if ur sick and all that Jazz .. there is simply nothing else they can say and or do that they haven’t already in being prepared for a possible outbreak... THE KEY WORD IS POSSIBLE .. this hasn’t happened yet and we are about as prepared as we can be for something like this. And he is saying “we have this completely under control” because right now we do currently have things under control people are being quarantined before coming into the country and travel has been banned for a while from the worst hardest hit countries.
I mean what else do y’all want these guys to do?! Close everything down cause mass panic and spray giant sanitizing machines through the streets where there’s currently ZERO people infected. That would only hurt our economy even more and the worlds economy in that case. We have to be smart not scared..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back