• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Caperil 2021

Yep get ready for one more grass stunter ?
As long as we can avoid a hard freeze we should be ok. I actually think the more impressive Cold potential is in the 10-14 day range when the Nao breaks and the pna becomes a little taller and the main driver. The good news is every day that we go forward its a little harder to get a freeze even with a cold H5 setup

As long as we can avoid a hard freeze we should be ok. I actually think the more impressive Cold potential is in the 10-14 day range when the Nao breaks and the pna becomes a little taller and the main driver
Then after is our shot to retrograde into a SER

Yep get ready for one more grass stunter ?
As far as the grass is concerned, soil temps are the biggest driver, and one night shot in the low 40's upper 30's will hardly be noticed by turf. The thermal mass of soil is too great. Given the recent 70's and upcoming 80's, I think a brief cool spell will help to slow the rise of soil temps and keep them in the 60's, which is prime cool season grass growth... (unless you have bermuda... #stillsleeping)

@SD Correct me if I'm wrong...

As far as the grass is concerned, soil temps are the biggest driver, and one night shot in the low 40's upper 30's will hardly be noticed by turf. The thermal mass of soil is too great. Given the recent 70's and upcoming 80's, I think a brief cool spell will help to slow the rise of soil temps and keep them in the 60's, which is prime cool season grass growth... (unless you have bermuda... #stillsleeping)

@SD Correct me if I'm wrong...
You are correct. It'll be good weather if you have fescue or overseeded rye. The warm season stuff should green up again and a few nights in the upper 30s will stress it but not kill it.

You are correct. It'll be good weather if you have fescue or overseeded rye. The warm season stuff should green up again and a few nights in the upper 30s will stress it but not kill it.
Fescue, KBG in front. Zoysia in the back for the kids to tear up, lol!

Reactions: SD
As long as we can avoid a hard freeze we should be ok. I actually think the more impressive Cold potential is in the 10-14 day range when the Nao breaks and the pna becomes a little taller and the main driver. The good news is every day that we go forward its a little harder to get a freeze even with a cold H5 setup
I think we had our last freeze for the year (except for high elevation areas), but probably another light frost will occur as Locust winter makes it’s appearance

The MJO seems to be driving the pattern more than the teleconnections.

Right now it is in phase 6, which would suggest a continued warm pattern for the central / eastern US. But if it manages to get into phase 7, then yeah, it's going to cool off.

This is straight depressing why can’t we keep the weather we have now , View attachment 81355

Because change is perfectly normal for wx outside of summer. That's good because changes make wx more interesting for this wx hobbyist. I could ask the same question you did about the recent cold, but that also wouldn't be realistic as my liking of it is irrelevant.

12Z GFS early maps are telling me that this run may be warmer than the 0Z/6Z runs in the 6-10. We'll see.

I think changes are bound to happen especially with such a large block .. we remember how all models basically sucked outside of 3 days I bet we see wild changes for next couple days

I think changes are bound to happen especially with such a large block .. we remember how all models basically sucked outside of 3 days I bet we see wild changes for next couple days

Bring it on. I love to follow wild model changes as they struggle to discover what is already determined. If they hardly changed from run to run, who would be following them with this much enjoyment? Not I!

The 12Z GEFS early maps are already confirming that it, too, will likely be warmer toward midmonth.

These warmer changes are related to a westward shift at H5.

Worth noting that wavelengths are shortened so a +PNA could mean something trying to go the central US vs the eastern US, especially initially

Back