• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern August '22

What the system doing? If it is just buzzing outside and the fan isn’t running and the compressor isn’t coming on it’s probably a capacitor($15-20 in electrical supply stores)I had to change mine out a few weeks ago. You have to be cautious changing them out, but it’s a five to ten minute job and I’m sure YouTube has videos on it. You can normally tell because the top of the Capacitor(where the prongs are) is bulged out.
That or a sticking contact. Both are easy as long as you don’t touch the capacitor. 300+ Volts stings. Don’t ask my how I know.

One thing to think about if you like stargazing: The Perseid meteor shower is at it's peak tonight and with the cooler temperatures it will feel nice if you can find an area with low light pollution and watch the shooting stars. There will be a full moon but I'm sure that the brighter meteors can still be seen. When I was a kid and there was less light pollution I would camp out in the backyard and look to the Northeast and see nature put on it's version of a fireworks show when this shower was at its peak.

Fake cold here this afternoon (feels chilly nonetheless), at least it's come with decent rainfall with embedded thunder as opposed to a cold overcast day:
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.28.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.29.18 PM.png

Me to. I feel your pain brother. I know it's awful without any Ac. Especially with pets. I've been there before. My Ac went out in early July and I had bought a window unit for a backup that has been in storage for about 9 years and thankfully thats what is just getting me by right now till I can get my heat pump fixed. Hang in there. A little relief is on its way now in cooler temps and a lot lower humidity.
I was there myself earlier this summer. A lighting strike fried the blower motor and thermostat on my HVAC and it took over a week for the parts to come in so it could be fixed. I spent about a week and a half without AC and I ended up going to Lowe's and buying a window unit. I probably could have toughed it out until my central unit was fixed but the spousal unit persuaded me otherwise. My window unit is now in storage just in case something like this happens again.

Off-topic but I'm referring to the HVAC discussion going on here. I don't care for A/C in my house and have slept fine in multiple nights of temps in the mid-80s with a ceiling fan—a breeze helps a lot. Right now it's a naturally cooled 74°F in the living room (with a dew point of 68°F though)...lol

Off-topic but I'm referring to the HVAC discussion going on here. I don't care for A/C in my house and have slept fine in multiple nights of temps in the mid-80s with a ceiling fan—a breeze helps a lot. Right now it's a naturally cooled 74°F in the living room (with a dew point of 68°F though)...lol
dp of 68 isnt terrible. Beats mid 70s dp thats for sure.

Back