• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Arctic April

The most progressive, least interesting GFS solution is definitely not trending towards a nothingburger, stream separation is consistently increasing w/ each successive run.

View attachment 38402

Problem is, heights keep trending flatter as it shows increasingly more blocking and a deeper trough, which suggests limited moisture return and low level convergence for organized convection.

The wave separation will really only make a difference for the Texarkana region.

Problem is, heights keep trending flatter as it shows increasingly more blocking and a deeper trough, which suggests limited moisture return and low level convergence for organized convection.

The wave separation will really only make a difference for the Texarkana region.

No, wave separation makes a difference everywhere because more means the parent s/w is stronger, so is the QG forced ascent, it changes the tilt of the wave (more neutral) and the track of the surface low (further NW) as well as the intensity and breadth of the warm sector (stronger & further north).

This 12z Euro is shaping up to be another big run. We had more than enough stream separation, the SW US wave is slow enough to pump the heights over the SE US and start advecting warm/moist air off the gulf into the SE US

1586111248094.png

Wave separation makes a difference everywhere because it means the parent s/w is stronger, so is the QG forced ascent, it changes the tilt of the wave and the track of the surface low as well as the intensity and breadth of the warm sector.

I suppose if the shortwave coming out of Texas slows down long enough for heights to recover ahead of it and doesn't get sheared apart as it migrates eastward (close to what the 00z EURO showed), there's a chance.

The GFS and GGEM are both a long ways off from that solution though, and the 00z EURO was kind of on its own with its depiction.

Personally, I'd rather we get back to that triple phase the 18z GFS showed a couple days ago (yes, I know, fat chance :()

I suppose if the shortwave coming out of Texas slows down long enough for heights to recover ahead of it and doesn't get sheared apart as it migrates eastward (close to what the 00z EURO showed), there's a chance.

The GFs and GGEM are both a long ways off from that solution though, and the 00z EURO was kind of on its own with its depiction.

Personally, I'd rather we get back to that triple phase the 18z GFS showed a couple days ago (yes, I know, fat chance :()

GFS & GGEM tend to be too progressive w/ these SW US shortwaves and this bias is ringing true here. The EPS was a hair faster than the ECMWF but significantly slower than the GFS & GEFS which are also slowing down.

Impressive soundingson the euro when you clear out the initial rain and go full warm sector View attachment 38407

Yep, diurnal timing verbatim sucks in the western piedmont (what else is new) but a secondary low passing overhead w/ already absurd amounts of low-level shear and somewhat respectable instability should raise more eyebrows.

We've had our fair share of mid-April freezes, so I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see one this year. Unfortunately, I feel like this is shaping up to be a very active spring in terms of severe wx. We're long overdue for a large scale tornado outbreak, we can all hope it doesn't happen this year, but given our pattern going forward, I am not very optimistic that this will be the case.

The 12Z ensemble consensus is still looking N to BN for 4/10-20 in the SE US. Caution is advised due to cold bias, but hopefully this time will be different. One thing that makes me optimistic is that the EPS is just about as cold as the GEFS/GEPS, something not seen often as it has had the least cold bias. Even after adjusting for cold bias, it appears that we're headed for a similar period to what we just experienced of pleasantly mild to cool with low dewpoints thanks to dry Canadian air. Looks promising for good walking wx! Actually, the coldest relative to normal still looks to be NW of the SE. To the NW, it looks to go solidly BN if the models aren't exhibiting too strong a cold bias.

Back