• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

Held in the mid 30s most of the day...popped up to 41 once the rain ended. Really impressive for April

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This thing is a beast on radar right now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And IR too.
goes16_ir_goes16-meso1_20190402225729.jpg

1554247962263.png

My chase round up. Left N. GA this morning around 5am. Knew it was a longshot, but daughter wanted one last chance to see snow since we haven't had anything in Dahlonega since Dec 2017. So after reading here and looking at nam and hrrr, and nws gsp, decide best bet was to go to Gville / Spartanburg and then check conditions and this forum, and then decide whether to go east or west or continue on 85. Odd thing is when went past Simpsonville, it cleared up, got bone dry, and the temp rose to a scorching 95 degrees, weird. Anyway, saw a couple of flakes north of Greenville, but then it stopped. Decided to go toward Charlotte, but felt like it was a losing battle. could see moisture east of 85, and dry sky west of 85, so just decided to take my chances and go right at next exit, which turned out to be a good choice. Soon after turning, it started raining and coming down hard. Based on what I'd been reading I felt the heavy rates would pull down the cold air. i suspect the temp started out in the low 40s but after the precip it got down to at least 33 according to the phone app. Sure enough, soon started to see those telltale splotches on the windshield, then it just turned into a full on heavy heavy snow with big huge flakes. Took this picture at a gas station just outside of York SC. and as you know an iphone se just doesn't do it justice. after enjoying that for about 20 minutes, we continued on to Rock Hill where we saw accumulation on grass, dirt, and cars. Then up through Charlotte where we ate lunch while it was lightly sleeting in Kannapolis. Saw frozen precip for probably 3 hours. It was a good way to close out the year. I know i said it before but thanks to those on here who started tracking this early on.

Does anyone know if Charlotte officially got measurable snow/sleet? If so, it would be only the 2nd measured in April in the last 100 years.
I wish i had paid more attention. I'm going to guess they did, but can't verify. I know i saw snow accumulation South of there in Rock Hill and beyond, and then some very slight sleet accumulation in Concord/Kannapolis. but didn't really see anything going through Charlotte because was back on 85 with the traffic and all.

View attachment 18455

My chase round up. Left N. GA this morning around 5am. Knew it was a longshot, but daughter wanted one last chance to see snow since we haven't had anything in Dahlonega since Dec 2017. So after reading here and looking at nam and hrrr, and nws gsp, decide best bet was to go to Gville / Spartanburg and then check conditions and this forum, and then decide whether to go east or west or continue on 85. Odd thing is when went past Simpsonville, it cleared up, got bone dry, and the temp rose to a scorching 95 degrees, weird. Anyway, saw a couple of flakes north of Greenville, but then it stopped. Decided to go toward Charlotte, but felt like it was a losing battle. could see moisture east of 85, and dry sky west of 85, so just decided to take my chances and go right at next exit, which turned out to be a good choice. Soon after turning, it started raining and coming down hard. Based on what I'd been reading I felt the heavy rates would pull down the cold air. i suspect the temp started out in the low 40s but after the precip it got down to at least 33 according to the phone app. Sure enough, soon started to see those telltale splotches on the windshield, then it just turned into a full on heavy heavy snow with big huge flakes. Took this picture at a gas station just outside of York SC. and as you know an iphone se just doesn't do it justice. after enjoying that for about 20 minutes, we continued on to Rock Hill where we saw accumulation on grass, dirt, and cars. Then up through Charlotte where we ate lunch while it was lightly sleeting in Kannapolis. Saw frozen precip for probably 3 hours. It was a good way to close out the year. I know i said it before but thanks to those on here who started tracking this early on.
You picked a good route in the end. Although, I could have saved you some time and told you to skip my hometown of Simpsonville. Snow avoids this area at all costs. Rock Hill was a great spot to be in. Good job, Dad!

Back