• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

Wow the 18z RGEM is UGLY. Really cut back on QPF in western areas and now barely has a dusting of snow in the "jackpot" areas. The qpf projections are all over the place with models, should be interesting to see how it all unfolds tonight.

This is the end of the 18z rap ... all of that around Charlotte and upstate is snow ... it showed a temp in Charlotte around 33 with heavy snow around noon

Attachments

• 9914E43C-B5F6-4B9C-BA4B-907F9F6A2DF1.jpeg
    9914E43C-B5F6-4B9C-BA4B-907F9F6A2DF1.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 45
Wow the 18z RGEM is UGLY. Really cut back on QPF in western areas and now barely has a dusting of snow in the "jackpot" areas. The qpf projections are all over the place with models, should be interesting to see how it all unfolds tonight.
Clear signs of a nowcast event

If this was January they would issue a Winter Storm Watch for Charlotte..but it’s April so they will wait and issue a short fuse advisory and maybe upgrade after it’s already on the ground. It’s a disservice to the public because they wanna watch their arse.

Clear signs of a nowcast event

Yes this one will be tough to forecast. The RGEM thermals are close to a nice snow but not quite there so the areas that get solid qpf in upstate SC rain instead. If it’s a bit too warm it’s snow map would be quite different. There is considerable variability even with the Euro qpf vs the UK.

Also haven’t seen this mentioned but given how the last several wintry systems have produced sleet instead of rain due to the dry air in place..I think this will occur in Georgia and South Carolina too. Before going to rain.

Recently from KCAE:

The more interesting and uncertain part of the forecast
revolves around potential for snow to mix in with the rain
across parts of the Piedmont and northern and western Midlands
for a short period of time during the period of strongest
forcing around 12z. Model soundings and time heights show fairly
cold air aloft as the trough approaches but the lowest layers
remain just warm enough to support all rain across the forecast
area with wet bulb temperatures also remaining just high
enough to support rain. However, the big fly in the ointment
with this event is low-level dry air with dewpoints in the
teens across the Carolinas and if the strong upper forcing and
dynamical cooling combined with some evaporative cooling can
result in a near 0-degree isothermal layer somewhere in our
western and northern sections which if that does occur, there
could be a burst of heavy wet snow. The NAM/EC are the most
aggressive showing winter potential while the GFS has trended
farther inland with the precipitation shield but remains warmer
in the thermal profiles. Will continue the forecast of a
rain/snow mix for a few hours around 12z in the northern/western
sections but not carrying any accumulation at this time given
the uncertainty with this event, although would not be surprised
with the need to possibly go with an advisory on the midnight
shift if thermal profiles change.

Hrrr gets minimal CAPE, cape even that small is always interesting in a snow event, lapses aren’t the best tho
69758350-76D3-4B56-A2D7-F881D7D98B0B.png

If this was January they would issue a Winter Storm Watch for Charlotte..but it’s April so they will wait and issue a short fuse advisory and maybe upgrade after it’s already on the ground. It’s a disservice to the public because they wanna watch their arse.
Probably going with an excessive crow warning!

I always hear the warm ground argument in the Spring and Fall when it comes to accumulating snowfall predictions. However, I will throw this out there for thought..... If warm ground temps are such a factor, how can you get frost covering the yard with soil temps in the 50's? I have had several frosty mornings this past week or so, and another one just this morning.

If I lived from Union to Rock Hill I would really be licking my chops right now. Someone’s going to see a dumpathon in that area

yOu mEaN tO tELl mE tHeReS a lAsT sEcOnD nW tReNd?!

Never woulda guessed significant precip could make it to I-85. I’m shooketh.
Johnny C saying heavy snow SOUTH AND EAST of 85! Boogity,boogity, boogity, lets go raining boys!!?

Even in concord/kannapolis it’s gonna be close, just because im more north gives me a little more of a disadvantage

Back