• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

It’s funny that I was making my snow map before seeing the 12z EPS and they are virtually identical in SC. Maybe I should have shown more love further up into NC but I believe the window closes pretty fast. Timing is ?

Take about a third of this and you get the general idea, using globals and high res models while the former is not properly dispersed for this range gives you roughly the same idea for this storm (because amts will probably be small in any case). Up to a slushy inch (maybe 2 at the very most) possible in isolated areas near the I-85 corridor between the GA state line & Greensboro/Winston-Salem. 0z high resolution runs later this evening will be worth looking at to modify smaller-scale details

View attachment 18338
thanks Webb and also GAWX who was tracking this days and days ago with interest. So does this post indicate that the jackpot might see 3 inches fall, but maybe an inch or so stick? imo that would be a win. once the ground is covered, and fat wet flakes are falling, I wouldn't care how much it is, seeing as its April.

thanks Webb and also GAWX who was tracking this days and days ago with interest. So does this post indicate that the jackpot might see 3 inches fall, but maybe an inch or so stick? imo that would be a win. once the ground is covered, and fat wet flakes are falling, I wouldn't care how much it is, seeing as its April.

The general expectation for those who hit the jackpot, maybe 1", no more than 2" would actually accumulate of the liquid equivalent that falls from the sky. Best shot of this is for those in upstate SC or the southern piedmont of NC.

I will assume the biggest winners tomorrow might receive a trace or maybe a dusting. It will be awesome for someone on here to see flakes in April. I will be enjoying my low 60s here lol.

I largely agree with you although I do think some areas will even get more than a dusting with POSSIBLY as much as 2-3" in isolated SC/NC locations between upstate SC and Charlotte. Closer to you, I think NE ATL burbs have a shot of seeing some beautiful wet flakes likely without more than a trace. Are you going to chase in NE burbs? If so, be careful!

A lot of what falls will melt due to various factors like near to above freezing surface temps, warm ground, solar insolation (after 8am and more a factor in NC), and compaction of what does fall due to low ratios and it being a wet/heavy snow. Assuming the warm bubble modeled on the RGEM doesn't occur, upstate SC into areas around CLT probably have the best shot at seeing an inch or so of snow.

My first (& likely only) call map for this winter storm late tonight & early tomorrow.

Most folks that see snow late tonight & tomorrow morning will most likely pick up a trace or a dusting.

A slushy 1" (or more) of accumulation (likely confined to isolated areas) is possible for the southern piedmont of NC and extreme upstate SC including areas like Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg, etc., and possibly areas as far west as the blue ridge escarpment.

Flurries are generally possible for those near & west of US-HWY 1 but this event will be mostly cold rain well east of I-85.
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 3.44.24 PM.png

I will take a slushy 1 inch or a flurry ... but you know damn well I’ll be hunting for the overachiever amount when I stay up all night tracking this puppy

Back