• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Ablazing August

BP in Charlotte Is honking on heavy rain on Saturday. Haven’t checked models … is he using a blend or leaning on one model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked Nashville and the averages there next week are still around around 70 for lows and 90 for highs… right now their highest is forecasted to be 93 Monday and then 88-90 after that so still pretty much average.
Chattanooga could hit 95

That makes me feel better that this has happened before and chances are good Charlotte's going to get something this year.
Yeah… history says that CLT has never gone snowless an entire winter and it has never gone more than two consecutive winters without having at least one 1”+ snowfall….’90-‘91, ‘91-‘92 and now ‘19-20, ‘20-‘21 are the two most recent times that it has happened two consecutive years. ‘92-‘93 very nearly made it 3 winters in a row, but the airport got 2 inches from the March 1993 superstorm.

Something tells me the euro is too widespread and it ends up as just a couple rounds of scattered storms. We will see
Yeah I said a couple months ago that I just don’t put a lot of stock in modeled rainfall amount maps during the summer because so much of our rainfall from June-August is convection based. Unless it’s coming from a TC I just assume the rainfall will be scattered

The thing that is often forgotten when looking at patterns and set ups for winter weather is that for every time that particular set up produced there was probably 10 times or more that it didn’t… we do live in the south after all. Keep in mind that this snow drought that we are in right now was preceded by some pretty good years and individual storms for a lot of us, and it’s definitely not the worst many of us has seen in the past… CLT went from December 1989 to March 1993 without recording anything more than trace of snow, and there simply was just not that many opportunities for it as well. As far the correlation on the summer temps in the cold air source regions… I’m simply trying to see if cold air can build up quicker this year without have record warmth there most of the summer. The fact is the cold air didn’t get built up until very late in the fall last year, and that was to me what ultimately ruined winter weather chances in the first half of met winter… if the cold had built up sooner to go along with the pattern that was predominant over that 6-7 weeks, I think most of the southeast from I-20 corridor north would have had at least one decent storm.
Its def something to watch. I use to think early Khatanga and Siberian snowfall would lead to colder opportunities, though it seems hit and miss. Oddly enough, I never have paid attention to NW North America, which is probably more relevant to us in the SE. So I will join you at oberving those come mid to late October.

Its def something to watch. I use to think early Khatanga and Siberian snowfall would lead to colder opportunities, though it seems hit and miss. Oddly enough, I never have paid attention to NW North America, which is probably more relevant to us in the SE. So I will join you at oberving those come mid to late October.
Yeah I’m not saying that the Siberian cold isn’t important, but to tap into it you gotta have a cross polar flow. I think that’s a bigger deal for areas south of the I-20 corridor. For us in northern SC,and all of NC it’s very doable for us to get winter storms with a cold air mass that’s has an origin in North America…. Whether that be through a high pressure dropping out of NW Canada or a CAD, provided that you have just enough blocking or absolutely perfect timing. We definitely had the blocking during the first half of last winter and even though the PNA was only around neutral during that time, it would have been good enough to deliver cold enough air.. the problem of course is that the source regions just took too much time to build cold after coming out of record warmth

There have been almost as many posts about fall and winter ITT as the posts actually about August lol. This is the time for bikinis, sand, sun, and treadmills...enjoy!

To make this an August post, here is the Arctic temperature anomaly graph update for today:

meanT_2021.png

Back