• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Ablazing August

I’ve actually been following the source regions very closely lately and those areas are actually having the coolest summer since 2013. Nothing like the consistent record warmth they’ve seen the last several years… they should start building up cold air much sooner than they have lately
Fairbanks set a new record warmest mean temp yesterday with an 89/64 temp combo I believe. Not sure if that's daily only though.

Fairbanks set a new record warmest mean temp yesterday with an 89/64 temp combo I believe. Not sure if that's daily only though.
I’m talking more about the north slope and over into the northern Yukon… those areas the last several years were actually seeing record warmth as well…. This year has been quite cool

I’ve actually been following the source regions very closely lately and those areas are actually having the coolest summer since 2013. Nothing like the consistent record warmth they’ve seen the last several years… they should start building up cold air much sooner than they have lately
I hope you're right about the correlation of our winters based on those regions. I've given up on the early Siberian/Yakutsk cold train.

Heck, I'm seeing things like Brick now. "It just doesn't work like it use to." I'll give it one, maybe two more years then I'm throwing my hands up at patterns. Interior mountains of Maine will be my new spot to ensure I see snow........while they can still get it.

Some sarcasm there yes, but halfway serious at this point.

I hope you're right about the correlation of our winters based on those regions. I've given up on the early Siberian/Yakutsk cold train.

Heck, I'm seeing things like Brick now. "It just doesn't work like it use to." I'll give it one, maybe two more years then I'm throwing my hands up at patterns. Interior mountains of Maine will be my new spot to ensure I see snow........while they can still get it.

Some sarcasm there yes, but halfway serious at this point.
The thing that is often forgotten when looking at patterns and set ups for winter weather is that for every time that particular set up produced there was probably 10 times or more that it didn’t… we do live in the south after all. Keep in mind that this snow drought that we are in right now was preceded by some pretty good years and individual storms for a lot of us, and it’s definitely not the worst many of us has seen in the past… CLT went from December 1989 to March 1993 without recording anything more than trace of snow, and there simply was just not that many opportunities for it as well. As far the correlation on the summer temps in the cold air source regions… I’m simply trying to see if cold air can build up quicker this year without have record warmth there most of the summer. The fact is the cold air didn’t get built up until very late in the fall last year, and that was to me what ultimately ruined winter weather chances in the first half of met winter… if the cold had built up sooner to go along with the pattern that was predominant over that 6-7 weeks, I think most of the southeast from I-20 corridor north would have had at least one decent storm.

The thing that is often forgotten when looking at patterns and set ups for winter weather is that for every time that particular set up produced there was probably 10 times or more that it didn’t… we do live in the south after all. Keep in mind that this snow drought that we are in right now was preceded by some pretty good years and individual storms for a lot of us, and it’s definitely not the worst many of us has seen in the past… CLT went from December 1989 to March 1993 without recording anything more than trace of snow, and there simply was just not that many opportunities for it as well. As far the correlation on the summer temps in the cold air source regions… I’m simply trying to see if cold air can build up quicker this year without have record warmth there most of the summer. The fact is the cold air didn’t get built up until very late in the fall last year, and that was to me what ultimately ruined winter weather chances in the first half of met winter… if the cold had built up sooner to go along with the pattern that was predominant over that 6-7 weeks, I think most of the southeast from I-20 corridor north would have had at least one decent storm.

The rapidly warming Arctic isn't going to be good for winter regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not SE weather, but have headed west on a trip. Flew into Reno and headed to Tahoe … temps there were great highs upper 70s lows upper 40s or so. Currently I am In Yosemite Valley. Current high reading per NWS is 101, DP can’t be much more than 30 or so. Still hot … low will drop to low 60s upper 50s.

Luckily for our benefit here .. average summer heat turns slightly below average ??? I’ll take a bon existent ridge out East for the heart of summer
I'm interested in what's going on after the 15th eps continues to show us cooling into the mid 80s on the mean there are some really cool members there too. Next week looks like a snoozer no evidence it can get really hot and not much to keep it cool zzzz

I'm interested in what's going on after the 15th eps continues to show us cooling into the mid 80s on the mean there are some really cool members there too. Next week looks like a snoozer no evidence it can get really hot and not much to keep it cool zzzz
Yeah next week looks about as average temp-wise as you can get. It certainly wouldn’t be unheard of to see a cool shot after the 15th… I think we CLT got down into the upper 50s a couple times last year in late August or first week of September

Last edited:
That makes me feel better that this has happened before and chances are good Charlotte's going to get something this year.

For NC maybe. But in TN it will be brutally hot.
I checked Nashville and the averages there next week are still around around 70 for lows and 90 for highs… right now their highest is forecasted to be 93 Monday and then 88-90 after that so still pretty much average.

Back