• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 4/28-30 2020 Severe Chance

The worst part about this line is how slow it's going to be moving. Really wish it would speed up a bit, cannot stand these late-night storms, it can be a recipe for disaster.

The worst part about this line is how slow it's going to be moving. Really wish it would speed up a bit, cannot stand these late-night storms, it can be a recipe for disaster.

That QLCS on February 6th that produced that cluster of tornadoes in around CLT was moving at a snails pace to

Looks like this is one where the threat might actually be increasing as we get closer to go time.
With it being a line it can only do so much. Either sprinkles with gusts to 30 or heavy rain and gust to 50. When was the last time you witnessed widespread line cause damaging winds over 60 for everyone? Nada.

With it being a line it can only do so much. Either sprinkles with gusts to 30 or heavy rain and gust to 50. When was the last time you witnessed widespread line cause damaging winds over 60 for everyone? Nada.

July 1st 2012 eastern NC multiplied gust 75+

So are we thinking QLCS? Is a possible derecho in play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the 1/11/14 storms that dropped the 86mph gust at rdu. Either way more than 0

One of the singluraly most destructive storms I've ever been through. Entire forest laid flat( I'll post the video in the storm video thread i started) and had widespread 75 to 100mph winds. A guy got killed a few miles south by a falling tree. Multiple injuries in Beufort county as windows blew out. It was bad.

It's very rare to get derecho's this early in the season. Normally that's a June/July/August event, climatology speaking. Plus, in order to get derecho's you need LOTS of CAPE. CAPE is very meager in this setup, 250-400 just won't cut it.

Last edited:
NAM still shows the same thing, a squall line with 250-600jkgs of MUcape which is a bit more then other short range guidance, maybe it’s better res let’s it sniff out more cape
C939BA96-8A08-4F93-AC21-4A8340947159.png5154C0AE-B2CC-4FF1-A742-A1F830A6A4AA.png

Yay

ww0154_radar.gif

SUMMARY...A band of severe thunderstorms initially over Oklahoma
should organize further and surge southeastward to southward across
the watch area this evening into tonight. Severe downdraft winds
will be a distinct hazard, with isolated gusts near hurricane force
possible. A few storms also may produce large, damaging hail in
parts of north Texas. A line-embedded tornado or two cannot be
ruled out as well.

Back