• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 4/28-30 2020 Severe Chance

It came through here. Thunder and lighting show, little wind and some rain. Not done yet but front edge is through. Moving fast. It belongs to all you now. Headed your way.

Yeah about the same here nothing too crazy. DFW airport barely got to severe level winds

I was a little spooked as it came in because there had been winds over 70 reported but it just fell flat to me

New SPC Day 1 Outlook...

1588139893097.png

SPC AC 290547

Day 1 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1247 AM CDT Wed Apr 29 2020

Valid 291200Z - 301200Z

...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PORTIONS OF
THE GULF STATES...

...SUMMARY...
Strong to severe thunderstorms capable of producing mainly damaging
winds may occur across portions of southeast Louisiana into the
Southeast and southern Appalachians.

...Gulf States/Carolinas...

Strong mid-level height falls are forecast to spread across the
mid-MS Valley into the mid-South region before shifting into the
Appalachians Wednesday night. In response to a 90kt 500mb speed max,
surface front will surge to a position arcing from the lower OH
Valley - western TN - LA by early afternoon. However, strong
convection is currently noted from AR into north-central TX and this
activity will likely remain organized through sunrise Wednesday as
it races ahead of the front. This band of convection will serve as
the back edge of severe probs starting at 29/12z. Latest CAMs
support this convection progressing to a position from central MS -
southern LA - coastal Plain of TX at the start of the day1 period.
While mid-level lapse rates are forecast to be steep, boundary-layer
heating is not expected to be particularly strong and this should
limit buoyancy within an otherwise strongly sheared environment.
Strong winds should be the primary threat with this long-lived
squall line, though an isolated tornado can not be ruled out. It's
not entirely clear how much convection will develop along the actual
synoptic front over MS/AL, but the synoptic boundary should become
the focus for frontal convection downstream across GA where a narrow
line of storms should evolve, especially as this region will
experience some low-level heating. During the latter half of the
period, a strongly forced low-topped line of storms is expected to
spread across the Carolinas during the overnight hours. There is
some concern that strengthening LLJ over the Carolinas could enhance
the prospect for QLCS-type of event. However, at this time
instability appears too low to warrant increasing severe probs. Will
monitor this region for signs of greater buoyancy which could lead
to stronger updrafts.

How much instability did we have in early february when that QLCS produced widespread wind damage across NC? Basically next to none.
Yeah, other then the tornadoes, with little to no cape that line had some impressive lightning and even some hail, which still puzzles me a bit given there was almost 0 cape, I guess shear/forcing just controlled everything in that setup, that setup Also proved how bad we need a weather radar in around CLT that’s not the terminal one, lol E80CCDA0-E8D0-4AD3-B308-54A75F276E37.jpegC11CDA50-6E7A-4A48-8541-B3CBF69A2803.png

Yeah, other then the tornadoes, with little to no cape that line had some impressive lightning and even some hail, which still puzzles me a bit given there was almost 0 cape, I guess shear/forcing just controlled everything in that setup, that setup Also proved how bad we need a weather radar in around CLT that’s not the terminal one, lol View attachment 40662View attachment 40663

Yeahhh like

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.07.55 AM.png
200206_wind.png

SPC doesn't even have a 2% tor in NC today. :rolleyes:

Not sure how a strong QLCS with 100-500 j/kg+ MUCAPE & ~400 0-1 SRH doesn't warrant at least some legitimate non-zero probs for tornadoes. They're dropping the ball on this one imo

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 4.19.14 AM.png

SPC doesn't even have a 2% tor in NC today. :rolleyes:

Not sure how a strong QLCS with 100-500 j/kg+ MUCAPE & ~400 0-1 SRH doesn't warrant at least some legitimate non-zero probs for tornadoes. They're dropping the ball on this one imo

View attachment 40668

Not even trying to bash, but the past few events they have been iffy on, first off the setup after easter which it looked like the warm front was gonna stay well to our south yet they issued a day 2 hatched 10% tor when almost all CAMS/HREF showed nothing in the Carolinas, then the last event with the supercells trio, they should have extended that slight across much of the boundary, and oh yea 15% tor a week ago

This environment isn't at least marginally conducive for QLCS tors?

View attachment 40670

Here’s a sounding from the wrf (less cape verified but wind profiles were sorta on point although near the CAD boundary sfc winds did back), but otherwise it can be argued that the wind profiles look more supportive this time vs feb 6th937423B3-51A9-4332-8FA1-0F341586B578.jpeg

Brad P. alluded to DP's yesterday and how they were pretty low. Well, they've gone up and are pushing 60. Not sure what the SPC is doing, honestly. Even GSP is bullish in its wording. I suppose there is time to upgrade in later outlooks...

Back