• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season thread

NOAA just put their new supercomputers online back in late June that were supposed to improve their forecast capability and accuracy on a major scale according to the press briefing. Perhaps this is the reason that the GFS was able to sniff out the lack of activity in the Atlantic ahead of the Euro which was showing a storm in early August. Could this computer upgrade be a gamechanger in the battle of the models?

NOAA just put their new supercomputers online back in late June that were supposed to improve their forecast capability and accuracy on a major scale according to the press briefing. Perhaps this is the reason that the GFS was able to sniff out the lack of activity in the Atlantic ahead of the Euro which was showing a storm in early August. Could this computer upgrade be a gamechanger in the battle of the models?
I doubt it. The GFS hasn’t really improved much on the model verification scores.
6CA08730-2FF1-498D-BE5B-09D967DF1BDD.png
F0844B7F-E68E-4C91-9150-72C9C9B1E196.png

So EPS goes silent and GEFS making some noise now?

1800x1080.jpg

If the white is moist air is the blue area shrinking? I hope so.
No that blue are is dry air. Yes it’s shrinking but it’s still too large of an area of dry air to allow for anything to develop from African waves. I think we’re still a good two weeks or so from having to worry about any development

Honestly I could see it being fewer storms but more quality though. I mean a season of 20 fish interests no one ? that seems to be the idea lately. If we get 1 or 2 big US storms it won't matter how many we really have tbh

Honestly I could see it being fewer storms but more quality though. I mean a season of 20 fish interests no one ? that seems to be the idea lately. If we get 1 or 2 big US storms it won't matter how many we really have tbh
This is so true. When you think of the 1992 season, no one remembers how few storms there were, because everyone remembers the first one… Andrew

This is so true. When you think of the 1992 season, no one remembers how few storms there were, because everyone remembers the first one… Andrew

And Andrew almost died in the Atlantic... In mid August... The first storm of the year in mid August. It had like a 1015 mb pressure when recon went out (pretty much was dead) about 5 days before it hit Miami as a 5

2004 is another one... Nothing til the end of July then 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks in Florida

Harvey was dead a week before it blew up and hit Texas too and then Irma followed quick. Things flip fast out there

Last year Ida pretty much blew up in 3-4 days. The latter two examples were literally in late August

I mean maybe we get lucky... The last thing anyone needs is a major in the Gulf for obvious reasons(gas prices are finally heading the right way!) but I'm not holding my breath when the water temps are 90 degrees

Last edited:
And Andrew almost died in the Atlantic... In mid August... The first storm of the year in mid August. It had like a 1015 mb pressure when recon went out (pretty much was dead) about 5 days before it hit Miami as a 5

2004 is another one... Nothing til the end of July then 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks in Florida

Harvey was dead a week before it blew up and hit Texas too and then Irma followed quick. Things flip fast out there

Last year Ida pretty much blew up in 3-4 days. The latter two examples were literally in late August

I mean maybe we get lucky... The last thing anyone needs is a major in the Gulf for obvious reasons(gas prices are finally heading the right way!) but I'm not holding my breath when the water temps are 90 degrees
Not quite.

BA7B91E1-F01F-4DAE-89AB-4A876DA20F06.png

On TWC Jim Cantore thinks this year won’t live up to its predictions. He said if we don’t start seeing systems develop by Aug 10th we would need 2 storms a week to hit the marks. RIP
How much did he say the season was going to go down? Is it too late to have a season like 1998?

How much did he say the season was going to go down? Is it too late to have a season like 1998?

Nobody knows for sure how it will go it's all guesses but I still say fewer quality storms(say 1 or 2 big ones that hit the US) would be a bigger deal than 30 storms that never bother anyone

1998 didn't even have Bonnie til mid August btw.... We're already looking for Danielle. The whole season is in front of us still for what is 90 percent of the impactful storms. If this season doesn't pan out it's pure luck imo all the other signs are there. La Nina... Near record warm water temps close to the US...

Back