• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tarheel1 i need some recommendations. I want some evergreens to go down my road front for a noise buffer. What are some good ones that are resistant to the beetles and won’t turn brown and die on you? Also what kind of tree maturity would you go with to plant?
Right now the latest and greatest is Arizona Cypress “Blue Sapphire “ it’s been around for awhile, grows super fast almost Leland cypress fast, but no diseases or bugs bother it
You can probably find them at Lowe’s, 3 gallon is good enough, it’ll be 10’ tall and about 6’ wide in 2 years , easy, from 3 gallon! I think they have some planted at the Haywood Rd 385 mall exit. They have bluish foliage

Right now the latest and greatest is Arizona Cypress “Blue Sapphire “ it’s been around for awhile, grows super fast almost Leland cypress fast, but no diseases or bugs bother it
You can probably find them at Lowe’s, 3 gallon is good enough, it’ll be 10’ tall and about 6’ wide in 2 years , easy, from 3 gallon! I think they have some planted at the Haywood Rd 385 mall exit. They have bluish foliage
The Carolina Sapphire Cypress has a growth rate like kudzu. Cryptomeria is another fast growing evergreen. My local Lowe's in SE Charlotte currently has both of them in stock.

You da man

3 gallon probably 25-30$, maybe a little less82EE7F56-DEB5-4383-9B02-F992F2E0B427.png

GSP lists 2020 as its wettest year on record (73.7"). My station recorded 69.58". Despite being 4" behind GSP (which is only about 18 miles away in a straight line), still would go in as #4 all time.
In conclusion, it rained

GSP lists 2020 as its wettest year on record (73.7"). My station recorded 69.58". Despite being 4" behind GSP (which is only about 18 miles away in a straight line), still would go in as #4 all time.
In conclusion, it rained
Related: here's a list of every record set in 2020 for GSP

2/6 highest single day rainfall total 5.36”
3/27 record high temp 86F
4/8 record high temp 88F
5/5 highest single day rainfall total 3.21”
5/12 record low temp 38F
5/20 record min high temp 55F
6/16 record min high temp 61F
7/24 highest single day rainfall total 2.31”
9/17 highest single day rainfall total 3.00”
11/9 record max low temp 61F
11/10 record max low temp 63F
11/11 record max low temp 67F
11/12 record max low temp 63F

2020 highest yearly rainfall total 73.70”
5/2020 10th highest monthly rainfall total 12.57”
2/6/2020 10th highest single day rainfall total 5.36”
3/2020 7th warmest March ever 57.3F
2/2020 2nd highest February monthly rainfall total 9.60”
4/2020 8th highest April monthly rainfall total 7.45”
5/2020 2nd highest May monthly rainfall total 12.57”

For those wanting hedges, the Leyland Cypress is hard to beat. For a hedge evergreen with color, Redtips are great. There is a breed that gets tall and thick, and will barracade you from any other scenery, leaving you nestled in your own area. Unlike the cypress, they stay wide up top.

As for flower bed type stuff, most lantanas provide great foliage in the heat of summer when other foliage is water starved and withering, they thrive in heat and drought, but can also take a lot of water, very hardy. There is a breed of those called Miss Huff that get 5 plus feet tall for a small summertime hedge. The butterflies and hummingbirds will love them.

Rose of Sharon is another good hedge that puts out color in the heat of summer. However, like the Lantana, they dont provide any winter foliage, but unlike the Lantana, they get up to 12 feet tall untrimmed. Beats yet another crepe myrtle you see everywhere.

Last edited:
Also, shout out to a great spot called Bald Head Island. Most beach places look like, well, the beach. Bald Head Island looks like the jungles of Uganda got picked up and displaced at our coast. Beautiful homes tucked away surrounded by tall, rainforest jungle-like trees all within the island, yet you can go along the perimeter of the island for great beach views. Some homes have a higher stance leaving scenes of the beach for those that can look through the forest and see it. No home on the island is affordable, lest your annual income is that of a politician or lucky broker, but the views and scenery are the best you will get at a beach location. Living in the jungle with a nice house and beach views are great for those that want deciduous forest, yet have a beach.

Also, shout out to a great spot called Bald Head Island. Most beach places look like, well, the beach. Bald Head Island looks like the jungles of Uganda got picked up and displaced at our coast. Beautiful homes tucked away surrounded by tall, rainforest jungle-like trees all within the island, yet you can go along the perimeter of the island for great beach views. Some homes have a higher stance leaving scenes of the beach for those that can look through the forest and see it. No home on the island is affordable, lest your annual income is that of a politician or lucky broker, but the views and scenery are the best you will get at a beach location. Living in the jungle with a nice house and beach views are great for those that want deciduous forest, yet have a beach.
The forest there is maritime evergreen , hardly a single bare tree along those forests . Been to fort Macon state park in December and it was 100% green.

I havent been in the dead of winter, but in October, still junglelike.
Visit in winter it will be 100% green, those coastal forests are amazing . Live oaks , palmetto, various species of myrtle , hollies , and a few other broadleaf evergreens mixed with a few pine . Not one single deciduous tree in sight.

Visit in winter it will be 100% green, those coastal forests are amazing . Live oaks , palmetto, various species of myrtle , hollies , and a few other broadleaf evergreens mixed with a few pine . Not one single deciduous tree in sight.
One thing I liked about Baldhead Island were that the trees there were junglelike. It wasnt your typical inland breed Hickory, Spruce, Maple, etc. It were trees that looked like were from Africa or South America rainforest. Cant speak for winter like you, but summer and fall were great. If money were no problem..Lol.

One thing I liked about Baldhead Island were that the trees there were junglelike. It wasnt your typical inland breed Hickory, Spruce, Maple, etc. It were trees that looked like were from Africa or South America rainforest. Cant speak for winter like you, but summer and fall were great. If money were no problem..Lol.
I wish lol, bald head island is amazing lol. Southeastern mixed forest is the dominant type in the Piedmont . It is a Hickory/Oak/Pine mix primarily . Further east the makeup changes , starting along the fall line and eastern and southern Piedmont . If you ever travel west of Raleigh notice the pines decrease and the deciduous trees increase . East of Raleigh the opposite happens with pine being most dominant . By the time you get close to the sounds you start getting mixed evergreen broadleaf coastal forests, then along the barrier islands its pretty much green year round.

Leylands and Red Tips (photonia) have major disease and pest issues! Bag worms love Leylands and Red Tips we’re almost blighted out of existence

I wish lol, bald head island is amazing lol. Southeastern mixed forest is the dominant type in the Piedmont . It is a Hickory/Oak/Pine mix primarily . Further east the makeup changes , starting along the fall line and eastern and southern Piedmont . If you ever travel west of Raleigh notice the pines decrease and the deciduous trees increase . East of Raleigh the opposite happens with pine being most dominant . By the time you get close to the sounds you start getting mixed evergreen broadleaf coastal forests, then along the barrier islands its pretty much green year round.
When I lived in Murfreesboro as a kid, we often came back to Chapel Hill to visit family. The Smokies and Blue Ridge had so little pine back then. I hope pine never invades that region, but since Ive grown up (supposedly, lol) it seems there are a few more. Maybe man's invasion of it, like you stated a few days ago, has something to do with it. However, its still a great place with quality trees. Your post was spot on, as thats exactly how I see the topography from west to east too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back