• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I'm working on giving a nice face lift to that teleconnection excel sheet on my website for ya @Ollie Williams (& others that are interested).

Had to develop a little code this morning to handle the daily indices more seamlessly, I added the MJO to it directly (so none of you have to) and I'm putting some additional storms in there I've recently analyzed to enhance it somewhat & give each one a hyperlink so it's easier to do your own quick-look analyses.

I'm also going to try my hand at developing a daily Tropical Northern Hemisphere (TNH) index (since there's none readily available) and add it into that sheet along with the daily AO, NAO, PNA, WPO, & EPO that are already present (back to 1948) so it that can give us an idea of how strong the Hudson Bay/SE Canada vortex is in conjunction w/ these other features in/around the times of winter storms here in the Carolinas. A strong Hudson Bay/SE Canada vortex (+TNH) has certainly seemed to be an important player for winter storms around here the last decade or so, especially in the deep south (south of I-40).

+TNH 500mb anomaly map

TNH_index_500mb_anomaly_correlation.gif

I'm working on giving a nice face lift to that teleconnection excel sheet on my website for ya @Ollie Williams (& others that are interested).

Had to develop a little code this morning to handle the daily indices more seamlessly, I added the MJO to it directly (so none of you have to) and I'm putting some additional storms in there I've recently analyzed to enhance it somewhat & give each one a hyperlink so it's easier to do your own quick-look analyses.

I'm also going to try my hand at developing a daily Tropical Northern Hemisphere (TNH) index (since there's none readily available) and add it into that sheet along with the daily AO, NAO, PNA, WPO, & EPO that are already present (back to 1948) so it that can give us an idea of how strong the Hudson Bay/SE Canada vortex is in conjunction w/ these other features in/around the times of winter storms here in the Carolinas. A strong Hudson Bay/SE Canada vortex (+TNH) has certainly seemed to be an important player for winter storms around here the last decade or so, especially in the deep south (south of I-40).

+TNH 500mb anomaly map

View attachment 95731
Ooo, let me know when the data gets added!

Development is good they say. Lol. Reminds me a lot of the environmental catastrophes much of the midwest and northeast faced in the 60s and 70s. Ohhhh got to love good ol greed. Sure does a number on things. @Bham 99

Like poop in your water? well, poop spills in charlottes catawba river are very common, this is one of the larger ones.

15.4 million gallons of poop in this spill ahah

How about this? People are looking at moving away as a result

How about massive natural gas leaks? One of the largest in the history of the nation actually lol

And lets not forget worst of all, the coal ash mixed in all the soil in huntersville/ Mooresville making it a cancer hot spot! Developers took it all willingly from duke to fill in roads and add dirt to lots.

Sounds good. I confess I haven't done extensive research on which background states the ECMWF is, by a small statistical significance, too progressive or conservative for all of the various indexes, convective systems, tropical forcing mechanisms, stratospheric propagations, or H5 progressions. However, I have seen it, like the GFS, GEFS, CMC, and its own ensemble suite, frequently reverse on all of those things, especially beyond D5 or so.

Webber might be able to tell you that it has a 51% chance of being too progressive in a 2nd year La Nina, but Rain Cold can tell you that the European model is a hunk of junk at the end of its range."
tenor (7).gif

Back